Air Con, 420 SLDT

Hi, The AC on my car doesn't seem to be blowing cold - no difference when switched on or off. When I switch it on, the blue light comes on in the switch, but there is no longer a noticeable change in engine note that there used to be. The drive belt is OK, the fuse is OK and there is no sign of any leaks from any of the pipework. Does anyone know where the 'sight glass' referred to in the Haynes manual is for this car? I can't see anything "to the left side of the radiator". Any suggestions as to what else to check please? If all else fails, I guess my only other option is to take it to the garage.

Cheers all...

Reply to
Proteus

Sounds like a stuck magnet valve but remember that the fan control must be away from OFF in order for the aircon to operate.

Wind your window down and with the engine running you should hear a click when you press the aircon button. If not, check the plug to the magnet valve (trace the piping along to find it) and see if it is secured. Even better, if you have a test meter, check for power at the end of the plug as it could be something as simple as a fuse or damaged cable.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Most common problem is lack of gas!, it slowly leaks, and once it drops below a certain pressure the safety switch won't allow the compressor to work, if it did you would get the lubricating oil from the compressor around the system which would be very expensive. As for the sight glass, mine looked the same when it wasn't working as it was after a recharge!!, I would get a pressure (vaccuum) check done, then if that is OK get it recharged A complete test near me costs less than £50 that includes recharge, and they could do it for a lot less, it's a bit of 'white mans magic' The machine sucks all the gas out, measures it, then does a vacuum check, and then fills it up with the right amount of gas. doesn't even have to have someone watching it all automatic!

Or get a kit off Ebay and a pair of very thick rubber gloves and do it yourself!!

Des

Reply to
Des

Thanx for this info guys....