Fan gone wonky

My heater fan is either on full or off. In Rover Metro 96.

I tried replacing the heater fan switch from a junk yard, but no luck.

I tried replacing a relay on the fuse box which seemed to be correct, with a relay from the same yard, but again no luck.

I'm not sure if this problem is the relay, the switch or the relay.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

If it's any help and if the heater blower motor is a similar sort to that on my 420, then you may find that there is a wire resistor which is inside the blower housing. This resistor and the connections get corroded and it's common to lose one or more of the fan speeds. Clean the connections or replace the resistor - worked on my car.

Reply to
Proteus

Thanks I'll try that!

How do you clean them, with WD40 of brush. What do they look like?

Where is the fan exactly?

Under the bonnet, right hand side (front the front of the car, assuming RHD), directly under the air vent. Switch the fan on full, open the bonnet and listen.

Chilly

Reply to
chillypenguin

Thanks again