LPG and underslung tanks on a Range Rover P38

Hi all, I'm interested in knowing if any of you have a managed to do an LPG conversion on a Range Rover P38 (mine is a 4.6 HSE on a 99 plate) that does not either use the spare wheel well (2 punctures in the last year) or sit in the boot. I know that for both defenders and discos you can fit underslung tanks so I guess my question is can this be done on a p38 and if so does anyone recomend a fitter in the UK ?

Cheers Tony

Reply to
TonywBond

I was looking under mine with a view to doing the same, and the best place would seem to be where the fuel tank is currently, if it was removed you could get a pretty big LPG tank in its place.

Reply to
SimonJ

You sure can use the spare wheel well space and that seem to be a popular option. If you look at

they have a 135litre conversion that fits there. Now if only I can find a good placefor the spare wheel then I would do this !

Reply to
TonywBond

Roof rack!!!

I would have mine in the spare wheel well & get one of those funky folding space saver my wifes Touareg had!!! Took up no space at all!!

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

The only real option (other than a cylindrical tank in the boot, which is awkward to do and still allow access to the spare) is to put the tank(s) in the spare wheel well and carry the spare in the boot if you need to have it. AFAIK, there is nowhere to mount a small secondary tank on the P38 and there's certainly nowhere underneath to fit sill tanks due to the different chassis/body design from earlier landrovers. Last one I converted, the owner simply carries the spare lying flat in the boot, still enough space for all sorts of things to be carried. Badger. B.H.Engineering.

Badger

I would 'really' recommend a hold down strap or threaded fitting for the spare if you are carrying it in the back. If you are in a front end impact, the sucker could remove your head if it was loose....

Even a fitting from a Jeep Cherokee allows the spare to be set upright against one side of the rear and then a big wingnut on a bolt holds it solid. Or maybe mount it to the back of the back seat in an upright position with a bolt and wingnut if there is room.

Mike

Mike Romain

RPI do a spare wheel well conversion complete with mounting system for the spare against the side of the boot area, in the same way as the RR Classic spare was mounted. They supply a matching cover and modified boot cover to make it look factory fitted.

Reply to
SimonJ