Intermitent ABS light

------=_NextPart_000_0227_01C398A5.89709B30 Content-Type: text/plain;     charset="iso-8859-1"
Should be interested in the response to this one, my 620 does the same except it is accompanied by a loud and extremely annoying buzzing Noise...
Not been crashed either I might add.
I had this on a '93 420. It was a failed wheel sensor, which I gather is one of the most common faults with ABS. Connect a multimeter to the plug from the sensor (down by the wheel) and spin the wheel. It should give out a voltage (about 1V AC, from memory). Check which wheel isn't putting anything out.
The sensor works, I believe, by inducing a current as a toothed wheel on the hub rotates past.
I seem to recall reading about it initially on www.rovertorque.co.uk and have seen something on the www.roverload.com discussion groups as well.
The sensors are ferociously expensive from Rover (about 170 with the mounting bracket), so I put a request onto one of the find-a-part breakers rings in the yellow pages and found a 2nd hand one. Mk1 400's and Mk2 200's with ABS are pretty rare so I had trouble in the normal breakers. I ended up with the entire hub assembly from a 200 Coupe and swapped it whole (having swapped the spring/damper back to my old one, of course) as it's almost impossible to remove the sensors once they've corroded in. It cost me about 35 as I recall.
Good luck! Adrian
Should be interested in the response to this one, my 620 does the same except it is accompanied by a loud and extremely annoying buzzing Noise...
Not been crashed either I might add.

out
the
200's
Cheers mate thought it might be the sensor, that's one less problem to worry about and it is now a low priority.
AJ Happy Bunny
I have a P reg Rover 825 SLi automatic (131,000 miles) and have had the same problem and can confirm it was the wheel sensor. The light has been permanently on for about 4 years but I had to have the sensor replaced for MOT last year at 245!! Then I had some wheel work done and the sensor went on the other wheel!! Needless to say I did not have it done then but MOT looms again.
As the light has been on all the time for so long, it doesn't bother me so I really just want to turn it off permanently to get through the MOT. I do not want to spend that sort of money again.
Does anyone know if one can just remove a single fuse or the bulb or disconnect it somehow?
David S
PS I am not at all technical and cannot do my own repairs etc. so it has to be easy or easy to tell to a friend who can do it.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Rover 220 Coupe the ABS light some times does not go out at start up and then for no reason comes on and off whilst driver.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Fluid pressure - fine</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Engine starts fine</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Electrics - can find a fault</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This problem only started after I had the front rebuilt after a crash in whist the wheel hit a curb. No damage to wheel or bearings was found.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Ideas</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Cheers</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>AJ</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><BR>---<BR>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.<BR>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A href="http://www.grisoft.com ">http://www.grisoft.com </A>).<BR>Version: 6.0.525 / Virus Database: 322 - Release Date: 12/10/2003</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
if your garage is doing the MOT correctly they shouldnt issue you a ticket if the light does not come on at all, there is a set procedure for a correctly operating ABS lamp, it should come on with the ignition and go out after about 3 seconds...i would imagine that if you remove the bulb the MOT tester will not notice that you should have one there, unless he is observant, but one look under the bonnet should tell him that you have ABS fitted and should have a lamp to go with it. if he isnt checking your braking system correctly, then what else is he missing. ???? as an MOT tester myself i am a bit biased and critical of other "slack" MOT testers. but thats just me, however dont forget you are talking about your braking system here, are you comfortable enough to drive around in a car with defective brakes ???
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Rover 220 Coupe the ABS light some times does not go out at start up and then for no reason comes on and off whilst driver.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Fluid pressure - fine</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Engine starts fine</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Electrics - can find a fault</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This problem only started after I had the front rebuilt after a crash in whist the wheel hit a curb. No damage to wheel or bearings was found.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Ideas</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Cheers</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>AJ</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><BR>---<BR>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.<BR>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A href="http://www.grisoft.com ">http://www.grisoft.com </A>).<BR>Version: 6.0.525 / Virus Database: 322 - Release Date: 12/10/2003</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Site Timeline