ABS light surprised me!

I have a 2000 F-150 5.4L 5 years old with 29000 miles. I took it to Ford to do an inspection and oil change. I got it home fine, but two days later when I used it, I got an ABS warning light.

What surprises me is that a code reader returns no code, so I don't know where to start. The light comes on when the ignition key is turned on then goes out, but comes back on about 1 second later. I hear some type of sound from the engine compartment like a pump or something is moving and about the same time the light comes back on.

The cruise control works, so it does not appear to be a fuse.

Anyone have any ideas? The book I have does not show the schematic for that circuit, but it does give the DTCs the might come up.

Anyone know why no error codes are present? Could the light be caused by something that does not go into the computer? At 29000 miles do you think I might need to get a brake job? Do I need to check with the truck moving?

And it does seem to me an awful coincidence that it came on after Ford worked on it, but it could have been assosciated with the brake tests done during an inspection.

Thanks, Clark

Reply to
Clark

Just in case anyone reads this, I found the reason no codes were returned. It appears the Actron Code Reader (CP9135) I got ($150) won't read Anti-Lock Brake System codes. The box does not mention this shortcoming.

Clark

Reply to
Clark