Rover 416 R Reg - Honda or Rover Powered?

Hi

I recently bought a used 416 Sli on an R plate.

It hadn't had a cam belt change and was pushing 74,000 miles so booked it into my local garage, who initially quoted the replacement cam belt for a Rover Engine. On the day of service they called me and said it had the Honda engine in it and the cost would be another £80 due to the cam pulleys having to be done as part of the Honda kit.

Everywhere I've looked on the net points to the 416 being K-series powered. Have I been taken for a ride by the service garage? Or is it possible there were some hangovers from the earlier series 416 that had the Honda engine in?

Is there a way of finding out from the Chasis number?

Thanks

JC

Reply to
Jeff

If it is the new shape 416 manual it will have the K series engine in it, if it is automatic it will have the Honda D series petrol engine.

Al

Reply to
Al