Rover 416sli Engine warning light

I have just brought a 1994 (M reg) 416sli. Every thing seemed Ok and the car passed all of the usual tests before I purchased it. I have had two Rovers previously (but only the 200 series) and they have been good reliable cars. The problem is that I do not have an Owners manual for this car. I have noticed that when I have done a few miles the "check engine" light comes on, what is this telling me? I have checked the obvious things on the engine but I guess I am not looking in the right place. Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards Dave

Sorry if this is posted twice was not sure it went first time

Reply to
Dave Ellard

Could be many things, what have you checked so far? Is this an early or late shape car (M was the changeover year). Does it have the Honda or Rover engine (Easy to check, the rover lump has Rover on the cam cover, most late shape cars have the Rover unit).

Torque MG Rover - The brand new site for MG & Rover Car Enthusiasts

Torque Vauxhall - The all new site for Vauxhall Car Enthusiasts
Fancy a Laugh? Tears of Laughter has humour for everyone!

root

Hi Root Thanks for taking an interest I will check which it is when I leave work. I am not much good with cars so when I said I checked the 'usual' things I was talking about oil, water, other fluids and visable check of leads etc. I guess now that this light is something to do with the engine management system (computer) and I have no way of checking what is causing it to come on. Can you tell me what conditions would make the light come on? is it terminal? or would a good service (which i think it did not get before i purchased it) solve the problem? As i have said before there are no outward signs of a problem the car starts, sounds ok and drives ok.

Reply to
Dave Ellard