60k service ...

I have a '99 9-3 and 60kmile service is now due. Local dealer charges $700+taxes for that. Does that sound reasonable? What does that service include? For that money it should contain quite a good deal of stuff. Major service for my "ultimate driving machine" costs less than half of that.

BRZ

Reply to
Zon

I had the 110.000 km's (70.000kmiles) inspection done last year at

100.000km. They charged me ? 685 (19%taxes included) for that. I thought it mighty expensive, but bear in mind that this service included:

- changing the last part of the exhaust,

- changing the brake fluid,

- changing the plugs for long-life plugs (NGK BCP5EV)

- synthetic engine oil. And what do you think of labour costs of ? 61.50 (+ taxes) per hour? Today they charge you even ? 70/h (= $86 at the current exchange rate!!!!!!).

"Zon" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.vaisala.com...

Reply to
albert & anneke van den berg

There are Saab dealers in my area (suburban Chicago) that charge $95 to $100/hr for labor. That is one reason why I do all the work myself. I found this out when my transmission needed to be repaired. The independent shops in the area didn't want to work on Saabs, saying that (they thought) all sorts of special tools were needed and the car wasn't worth repairing for the price the dealer wanted. Doing the work myself likely saved me $2K to $3K.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Ask themn what they do for that price. Decide if it's worth the cost. I might suggest just having an indy do the important items.

Reply to
Bob

Well I certainly did ask. The answer was "it is a major service, all hoses and stuff". I was not satisfied. I have worked on my cars before and I can do "hoses and stuff". However, there are things that are difficult for me, and those are the reason why I want to use service occasionally.

Anyway, I found an independent shop specialized in Saabs and I'm taking my car there for 60kmile service. They gave me detailed list of the items including all those in service manual plus ten others for 40% less. Let's see how it goes. I hope it is not going to be one of those "estimate X, charge Y" shops.

BR;Z

Reply to
Zon