9-3 Stereo Upgrade

I just bought a 2004 Saab 9-3 with the basis stereo. It is very weak and in fact the sound from the rear speakers is an embarrassment! The upgraded Saab stereos come with an additional amp and a pair of 4x6 speakers in the rear.

Does anyone know if I can easily install an amp and a pair of 4x6 speakers in the rear without screwing up the Saab wiring? A pair of 4" speakers is currently in the rear and there are additional holes for 4x6 speakers. I have heard that you can't upgrade an amplified system but since the system seems to have been designed for it, I am thinking that I could easily do it.

Thank you!

Dave

Reply to
Big D

You won't be able to upgrade it to the Saab premium system (easier to sell the car & get one with it), but maybe crutchfield.com has options for you.

One of the regular posters here has a FAQ on this, I bet he'll jump in with the address of it. If he doesn't, I'll dig it up & post it for you.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You can install the speakers but you will not find any convenient place to get the audio signal for them. The factory audio system in the new

9-3 is using difital fibre optics (MOST standard) to connect the audio units. The low level signal is digital all the way to the amplifiers and the filters are implemented inside the amplifiers.

You can upgrade some of the audio systems, but you need amplifiers with digital fibre optic inputs.

Reply to
Goran Larsson