9000 Body shape - sources of information?

Hello,

I am looking to buy a '93 9000 Aero. This will be my third Saab. I seem to be going backward in time; I started with a '97 NG900 (RIP), then bought a '91 C900, and now am looking at '93 9000. Seems like the right direction to me, though.

Now to the point - I have been trying to research the history of 9000's. Several useful web sites that I found do not discuss historic issues. Any suggestions? I specifically am interested in the following: the pictures tend to indicate that Saab went from an earlier more hatchback-looking shape on the car, to a more sedan-looking shape. Is that correct? What is the year that the transition occurred?

Thanks,

=================== Dima

Reply to
Dima

Definately! You'll end up in a two stroke 95 or 96 or even a Sonett!!

------- MH '72 97 ''77 96 '78 95 '79 96

MH

The CS body style started in '93. The '93MY is a bit of an oddball, though. It has the later body style and the earlier engine management system. Also steer clear of the TCS/ETS cars. This is the traction control system. I would suggest 94+ and make sure you get one with a turbo and without the v6 and without TCS. I had a '95 and was very pleased until it got totaled (rear ended). I now have a '97 and am very pleased.

This is all on the Saabnet site, but sometimes difficult to figure out.

KeithG

Dima wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

I've got a 1995 9000CS LPT and I'm very happy with it. This is what it looks like:

has the hatchback. Very roomy inside. I know the 1997 9000CSE looks the same. When I bought mine the dealership had a1997 sitting next to it. snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com
design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

I believe I have a 93MY, first reg Aug 1993. It's not a 94MY since those had balancer shafts also in 2.0 engines, labelled B204. The 2.3 started earlier with balancer shafts. I don't miss them as they are just an extra expense to replace chains. So I'm not sure which management system it has, but it always works no problems apart from the DI cassette. Still averaging

35 mpg in my 2.0 LPT.
Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

KeithG wrote: :: The CS body style started in '93. The '93MY is a bit of an oddball,

Yes, if you're talking on the US market. The CS was introduced 10. month '91, as a '92 model on the European market...

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

If you want to find out more, try locating original brochures either via ebay, or autojumbles. Sometimes, optional equipment in one model year became standard or dropped the next. There is a very useful one entitled "Saab 900

9000/CS/CD" marked "1987 to 1993 Model Ranges",PN 75-701656 dated 1994. This brochure has a set of tables in the back, one for each model, showing the equipment fitted year by year. Chris
Reply to
chrisnew