'94 900s(NG) Gearbox Warning indicator

Hello, I am new to the Saab world, having guided my daughter, 18 years old, when purchasing her first car. It now has about 122,000 miles (196,420 km) on it. She enjoys the car very much. We live in the Great Lakes region in the U.S.

I've been watching the group for about 4 months and now need some confirmation of my thinking or guidance.

The car has an automatic transmission. I have no idea which one it is, if there is more than one option. The engine is a 2.3L fuel injected When the weather turned cold the "Check Gearbox" indicator came on after she started the car one morning and the transmission seemed to be in second gear when shifted to drive. She restarted the car and things were normal. Now that it is really cold, 0 F or -18 C, the indicator comes on but a restart does not change anything. The upshift is normal to 3rd gear and overdrive.

Of course the manual, which was still in the car when she purchased it, advises to take it to a dealer. My thoughts are that the transmission filter and fluid may be in need of a change.

I am mechanically inclined and have done a major engine overhaul on a tired '87 Mazda 626 which was my son's first car.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this condition?

Thanks in advance for any replies. _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download

to open account

Reply to
Lou

My experience is with an '87 C900 with an automatic, so this may or may not be relevant.

My guess is that it may need servicing, but your issue may also be an effect of the cold. The Saab C900's have a thermostat in the oil cooler lines on the Automatic transmission. You may be low on fluid or the thermostat may be giving you problems. On my car, the thermostat was going out (shot) and was leaking incredibly. The replacement was extermely expensive ($300+). We replaced it with a coupler hose and removed the whole thing. The car still was a slow mover on the coldest of mornings (10 F and below) but would do fine if I let it warm up for about 5 minutes before putting into gear.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

\ Mike Teeples / '91 C900 SPG (124k mi.) '87 C900 Turbo (212k mi.) RIP '85 C900 Turbo 4-Door (275k mi.) RIP

Reply to
Mike

to open account

Reply to
Dick

My daughter had the same car- same Check Gearbox warning. It was a $300 electronic switch on top of the tranny.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

to open account