Another winter tire question...frost heaves

A couple weeks back, I had posted a question in regards to my 2004 9-3 Aero's tires...in that they were obviously not meant for winter driving. I received many good recommendations for winter tires/rims. Thanks!

However, one other less obvious requirement for winter driving exists....one that I hadn't really thought of until this weekend. ...Ability to handle "frost heaves". "Frost heaves" are those nasty bumps in the pavement due to freezing/refreezing. I ran into many on my trip to northern Maine this weekend. My guests and I nearly became nauseated while driving in the car...feeling every little bump on my 17" rims/low profile P Zeros.

If I were to get 16" rims with higher profile/winter tires would this help the car to better absorb those frost heaves? Or better yet, would moving all the way down to 15" with all-season tires, absorb those bumps even better (and still maintain good snow/ice driving ability)?

I realize the Aero's springs are a bit tighter as well...I admit, I have few clues about the mechanics, is there a way to loosen up the springs (ok, this admittedly defeats the purpose of owning an Aero)? I'm not sure if this is something that is even adjustable. Is this going too far to resolve the problem?

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Salutations:

Salutations:

Please see my reply on your previous thread.

Yes - putting the highest profile tire on you can fit will help greatly with the frost heaves and pot-holes (which are legend up here - north of Northern Maine). However, you should be aware that one of the important things about owning a sports sedan - is that you can and should do what you can to steer around the obstacles while remaining in your lane - and slow it on down. Because the very worst ones will be completely invisible until the last moment.

That's why people from Vermont congenitally drive at 5mph under the speed limit at all times and their cars last well in excess of the manufacturer's 10 year agreed best before date.

.. :) ..

Reply to
Dexter J

Going to a tire with more sidewall and more give, will provide a more comfortable ride on rough roads. I don't know if you can go down to 15" rims on you Aero. You could do what I did to handle winter driving issues and rough roads. I bought a NG900 to drive in the winter. I let it take the salt and the abuse. These are inexpensive because no one wants them as a driving car and if it last 2 years, I got my money's worth out of it. A good Classic 900 is getting hard to find. The price of an older Classic 900 is actually higher than the new NG900.

Reply to
ma_twain

That's funny, I thought it was because they were all ex-hippy, society drop-outs, green peace, eco-activists from the 60's and 70's...

;-)

-Fred W

PS - It's an "inside" joke, sort of a running feud thing between NH (conservative) and VT (liberals).

Reply to
The Malt Hound

Ah - so it's hand tied flies and three legged hip-waders at dawn is it?

Let me know and I'll fire up the boilers on the motor-coach to catch the carnage.

.. :) ..

Radio Free Dexterdyne Top Tune o'be-do-da-day Stevie Wonder - Living for the City

all tunes - no cookies no subscription no weather no ads no news no phone in no sign up required - all the Time

Dexter J's fab SAAB 900 for sale:

Dexter J

Hard to find a c900? Got to

I wouldn't say they are a dime a dozen. But there are many of them out there on the market.

Reply to
yaofeng

The statement was "a C900 is GOOD condition" . . . The emphasis is on GOOD. I don't want to spend thousands reconditioning a car.

Reply to
ma_twain

Getting a c900 in good condition is increasingly more difficult by the year. The car is engineered in the 70's. After my 89 c900 burned to the ground, by which time I already have a 9k, a 94 cs, I no longer looked back. Having driven both the c900 and 9k side by side, I realize the difference is by one generation. the c900 is clukier whilist the 9k is more refined. I now have three 9k's, all turbo and 5 speed. Two 94 and one 95. The one 94 cde I acquired with an automatic transmission I converted to 5 speed.

Is it only a matter of time I gravitate to 9-5? I think so.

Reply to
yaofeng

You can't go below 16" because of the Aero's disc brakes. My 9-3SS got the sport suspension, and 16" rims with winter tires work just fine here in wintery Norway.

Reply to
Helge

So they help to absorb/cushion all the winter bump in the road (frost heaves and pot holes)?

- tex

Reply to
Tex