Brakes - Saab or not?

Hi,

I wonder if I could get a few opinions here about brakes, i.e. is it imperative to have Saab or Saab-approved people fit Saab-branded pads or does anyone use 'regular' fitters and non-Saab pads?

I have a '99 9-5 SE Estate (Wagon) and I'm sure much like other folks here am finding the very high cost of these along with tyres, servicing, repairs, etc. somewhat crippling and would like to try to make savings where possible but not at the expense of potentially ruining the car or adversely affecting the value if it comes to that.

We all know what Saab would advise but there must be some flexibility, especially for 'older' cars?

Thanks in advance,

John

Reply to
John Dawson

The dealer pads and rotors are rediculously priced but in the long run ....might be worth the effort. My orig saab brakes performed nicely beyond

60k miles. The replacement pads and rotors [ Euro Rotor ] were totally destroyed by 10K miles. Now Im trying Brembo but it is too soon to pass judgement.
Reply to
Fritz001k

"John Dawson" skrev i en meddelelse news:qNRSc.717$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...

I'd say forget the Saab-pads. In the old days (OG900), the Saab aftermarket pads, where made here in Denmark, by Roulund - and they where utterly crap! Fact was that all Saabs where factory-fitted with Ferodo-pads - they had fewer warrenty probs. Why they decided to use the Roulund for the aftermarket beats me.

I'd say try Ferodo of Brembo pads instead.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

I'm using KVR pads ( see link) on my 9-5. So far so good. They feel better than stock and the dusting has beem dramatically reduced. I wanted to try EBC ceramic pads, but the rep suggested that they might not perform well in the winter ( I'm in Canada).

Reply to
BL

I would submit that, this being the case, the OEM pads and rotors are in fact a better value. Figure it takes you an hour to do - if you're doing it 6 times to 1, the cost _and_ time savings of the OEM are worth the up-front expense.

10K miles, seriously, by the way? That's _disturbingly_ bad.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Brake pads at 60,000 miles? Don't you people know how to drive? Standard or auto? Don't matter, select the gear for the speed you want to be driving, let the engine brake the car. You will not hurt the transmission.

Park the shitbox and come inside!

Steph

Reply to
Steph

How about being remotely useful rather than trolling?

Reply to
James Sweet

I see, so you're not just a top-posting know nothing, you're an abusive, trolling waste of bits. Thing is, these types seem to be self-correcting, after not too long they find out that they're in everyone's killfile and they're talking to themselves. Bye now, "steph".

Reply to
Dave Hinz