DIY versus "red box" APC

What differences would one expect between a DIY APC upgrade such as the one outlined at

and a ~$300box from a professional tuner? Obviously the former involves moreeffort, but is the final product qualitatively comparable, or is theresome additional voodoo that Group 9/Swedish Dynamics/etc are doing? Thanks

1990 900T
Reply to
Ludwig

in article snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, Ludwig at snipped-for-privacy@superdeluxe.com wrote on 20/12/2005 03:29:

Hi Ludwig,

My preference if a DIY box. The expensive boxes are no more than a DIY with a badge :) The advice on SAAB Works is very good indeed and the guy knows his stuff. Have a look at

as well - there's loads ofadvice there and good forum boards for APC specific questions. Once you've learned the voodoo (and it's not really that hard), you can fine tune the box as you like. What SAAB Works is offering is a method of making your own Red Box, which has some considerable differences to the standard black boxes. You can tune the black boxes much more simply and get great results ... As I said, learn the theory, too, so you'll be in control of what you're doing.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

With that said, think about what you have. There are no more Classic 900s

being made and parts (transmissions/engines) in good condition will be harder

to obtain. As some wrote in another post, he increased the power and had to rebuild his transmission in 25,000 miles. There is the potential increase torque and power, but use it wisely :-)

The other thought is have a balanced car - the suspension should be able to handle the extra power generated by the modified Black box. Otherwise you will have recreated the classic American muscle car that can only use its power on straight roads. I had a Ford like that long ago and now I really appreciate the handling of my SPG.

Reply to
ma_twain

in article snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, ma_twain at ma snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 22/12/2005 16:05:

Wise words!

Funnily enough, after my rebuild I'm perfectly happy with the stock performance. Nothing like a strip and rebuild for restoring lost power. I've just had my electrics looked over, too, and it's a whole new car. I'm determined to keep it stock ... and see if I can get the mechanics, interior and exterior to all be perfect all at the same time :)

I think if APC could be a little more tuned, to prevent over-boosting in the lower gears, higher boost is a perfectly reasonable goal. T8s do have the problem of no "on the fly" fuel tuning without aftermarket secondary fuel injection systems. T16s at least have more responsive fuelling, given increased boost pressures. I have been very impressed with the DI conversions I've seen on T16s, so much so, owning a T16 might well be on the cards ... And that's saying something for a die-hard eight valver :) No, seriously, the DI+APC transplant onto T16 seems to be an ideal base for stable tuning where per gear setting can be made.

The spirit of what I was saying was it is better to understand and apply when tuning, than to just buy an upgraded APC box. As you say, every car is different and a balanced setup can only really be achieved by setting up the APC system according to the car and there may well be other work that needs to be done beforehand. A pre-set "faster" box is not going to be balanced.

God Yule/Merry Christmas everyone,

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Quick question about those DIY/Swedish Dynamics boxes, how do they compare to the OEM Red Box APC controls?

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Brown