Ebay UK: Any one want a nicely run in Aero?

Just found this

Looks quite tidy in the photos, to far for me to travel to check it out, but might make some one a nice daily runner/trackday car

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

And a 99 Turbo that shouldn't be too much of a fixer.

MeatballTurbo

It's certainly a looker, but the bidding is already at more than the car is worth (£1800), and the reserve isn't met!

It's 10 years old with 175k - this is exactly when 9000s start costing some money.

The 'chipped to over 300 bhp' comment worries me a little. I'd want a whole lot more info on that.

Reply to
Grunff

Yeah, me too.

Seen one or two Aeros in not as nice nick going for £3k+ though. Seems the price for them has started to rise before the C900's

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Blimey! I must be getting out of touch - prices down here are significantly lower than that.

I'm not knocking them - they're great cars, and when I have more time, one day I'll have one. But if you buy one at that age/mileage, be prepared to spend a lot of time/money on it. This is especially the case if it's been modded in any way.

Reply to
Grunff

quick look on Autotrader pretty much confirms it.

Sorry about the silly long wrapping URL

Try this one.

Thats a national search for Aero's with no price/mileage limits.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Seconded..

Price variance is local so that in some places/countries Aero's are very desirable and thusly more expensive. However, you must start on the premise that any 'modified' machine has been driven hard enough to at least exercise the mod. This can get expensive as regards engine/suspension mounts, transmissions and supporting engine components (hoses, pressure lines and pumps for example).

That said, if they took on a good share of these other items as part of 'corrective' performance upgrade and they are in good condition and/or recently done. Well then, it might be a very good deal as long as you plan to drive it a while.

Personally - I always start work on the premise that a sub $8,000 (name your currency) SAAB is being sold because 'something' has to be done to it. This is OK because I thusly don't have to finance (or carry the extra insurance for the financing) at this price range. The 'something' may not be anything particular, or a really evident thing - or a combination of both - but I cost used cars out carefully against what reliable mileage I think the machine may have left in her against these repairs (and that's the tricky part).

There are only two real risks to this approach:

A:) There is something deep enough in the system that is missed by pre-sale third party inspection professional.This is less likely to bite you if you can find a local euro-performance shop who do not necessarily specialize in SAAB's - but have worked on a few of them. In fact, if you can find a mechanic who is not a 'fan' the marque personally - you probably have a good choice.

B:) The potential for catastrophic failure of the inertial drive controller (you) whilst carrying the utility insurance policy. The comprehensive insurance on a Aero (performance or otherwise) is not inexpensive. There is a 60/40 chance you or yours will be at fault and thusly - the vitally important ROI calculation as to potential mileage from the initial greater transportation investment (its operational 'burn rate' if you will) can be very adversely affected depended on chaos theory theory in many ways really.. :) ..

It's no more a risk than carrying a fully financed brand new lemon that anyone may or may not total at the end of three years I suppose. Basically

- there is some degree in maddness written into owning any vehicle at all at some point in the chart. If you like the colour and it drives as you expect it should - spend a few dollars and have it gone over carefully.

Reply to
Dexter J

In article , snipped-for-privacy@lamelamelame.org spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Me and Grunff are lucky to share the same bit of the world (UK) and the list of UK cars I posted was a National search.

Mileage on most was lower, but on nearly all the genuine Aeros, prices were a lot higher unfortunatley.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hey brother Carl - well - for what comfort it is may be, I was bidding on almost exactly the same car stateside on ebay and it went for $4,505 USD from a Roller dealer near Boston with a limited warranty. Equally - a lightly flood damaged '97 Aero with about 90,000 miles on the clock somewhere near Hersey PA didn't finish it's auction as it was sold locally for $3,200 cash on site. Which I take to mean it didn't smell and it ran well enough to be driven off the lot with a smile.

Around Canada - a '95 240,000KM Aero in Metro Toronto (where there is so much salt on the roads - it usually melts off any less than 3 centimeters of snow without anyone bothering to go out with a plow) was snapped up for $9,500 cash within 12 hours of it turning up in Autotrader - no questions asked - no inspection requested...

Me? I'm keeping an eye open for a '89-'91 5 speed 9000T Hatch from some place with *no* snow and am hoping to come away with change from $2,000(CND) if I'm not too particular about the power plant. Its a very fast ride in the right hands as is and I think a little more reliable in the longer term. I like the lines better myself - others would of course disagree - which is perfectly reasonable and nothing to be ashamed of amongst adults.

Heck - I was pushing hard to hoop for a really nicely keep C900 SPG in the $2,200 range - but it was explained to me that 4 doors were not optional as far as the family was concerned. Hence the NG900 NA 2.3 5 speed steaming away out back this evening. I swear it really must be like hard drugs - but with leather, better overall company and a five speed..

Why?! (again) Why!? - is it always the pretty ones?..

Reply to
Dexter J

I'm beginning to think, with the state of the USD, and the way the CND has always been good value for buying, that I might be better off paying for an import 9000 Aero, and putting up with wrong hand drive.

See theya re starting to climb, even the higher mileage ones.

Don't think you could wrong with that. The LPT 9000 I had as a courtesy car while mine was in for balljoints was a nice drive. Missed the kick in the back of my FTP 900, and seemed to run out of puff earlier, but had a lot more low down grunt.

Shame really. Did they get to see it, and get a drive in one? Might have convinced them.

Can't resist a pretty face in a leather skirt? Always the way.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Not necessarily picking on any of your points, they're valid but there's another angle to this which I think is often overlooked.

How many people buy a new car for say £15000 and then sell it 3 years later for £5000 or less?

On the other hand, if I buy a car for £2500 and spend say £5000 over 3 years (which I doubt very much), i'm deemed to have wasted £5000!

Why should we expect to buy something at good value and then whine when something needs replacing?

I don't think £250 for comphrehensive is expensive at all! In fact it was cheaper than some third party only quotes for me.

quite.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor