fuel guage

Recently the fuel gauge in my 9000CS (non turbo) quit. It has sprung back to life a couple of times, but fails to return once the car is restarted. The trip computer works fine which is how I've been gauging my tank. Any ideas?

Reply to
A Shortt

There is a float attached to a piece of hard wire connected to the fuel pump. The fuel pump sits inside the fuel tank. As it swings up and down inside the tank in response to the fuel level, the wire rubs against a flat conducting surface. The change in electrical resistance gives you the fuel readout on the instrument cluster.

It is very unlikely the float and the hardwire contraption got stuck inside the tank since you did not disturb it. But it could happen. Or it could be something electrical outside of the tank which is over my head.

Reply to
yaofeng

Thanks for responding! After pulling the dashtop off, I was able to see in behind the cluster from outside the car looking through the windshield. It was simply a loose plug! Problem solved!

Reply to
A Shortt