Gearbox oil plug

Received wisdom says that there is no oil plug on the gearbox of my 1993 9000. It this true? I've found something that looks like an oil plug under the gearbox.

Reply to
Johannes

If it's at the front of the casing near the back of the skid plate it'll be the engine oil drain plug - I've just had some fun with these which you read about in a thread at saabscene.co.uk. 8-)

The engine oil drain plug is has an M13 thread with (I think - will have to measure my new spare plug that I got from Saab Serve last week) a 1.5 mm thread pitch. Also interesting is that copper washers are not recommended any more - I was given aluminium washers instead but the original one was copper. Same idea as the copper ones though - they'll conform as the drain plug is torqued to help give a decent oil-tight seal.

The manual transmission on my 1983 900 GLi donor car has a drain plug with what looks like a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive for the gearbox oil. I don't know when the gearbox oil drain plugs were taken away - sometime around 1989 I think.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Not it's definitely not the engine oil drain plug. I change engine oil myself so I should know. The plug I've found is of similar size, but on the gearbox. What is it?

Reply to
Johannes

Do you own any 9k's or know anything about it? I suspect not. There is no skid plate on a 1993 9k. Unless you bolt one to it yourself aftermarket.

There is a change between MY 93 and 94 5 speed transmission. If the 93 drain and fill hole is the same as 94-98, there are three plugs of identical shape, fill, level and drain. Each is flat with a countersunk hex hole.

Expect to use a hammer to knock on the end of your hex wrench to drive any one of the three loose.

Reply to
yaofeng

Are you familiar with the entire Saab accessories catalog for that era?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Can't say I do. But I have a copy of the parts manual. Can look it up if necessary.

While on the same topic. I recently did a tear down, effectively, on a

94cs 9k. It was wrecked in December, 2004. Got compensation from a third party claim and I get to keep the wreck. It has front end damage but was driveable. I kept in the garage to get as many parts as I can. The temptation of it was just too great when I own three other 9k's (2 '94 and 1 '95, all turbo and 5 speed). I was tempted to remove both the windshield and hatch glass also, probably the only two items outside of the uni-body left un-touched. It rolled out of the garage on two rear wheels on donut. The front was supported on a rolling floor jack.

So try me on model year 94 to 98 9k's while momory is still fresh. The junk hauler removed the carcass only last week.

Reply to
yaofeng

I'm just saying that just because you don't know it exists, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. There are people who will swear that the Saab 96 never had an optional lower air-dam spoiler too, which is in direct contradiction to the one that I have, with Saab part numbers on it. Or that 96 floorpans were never sold, which again disagrees with the contents of my barn.

I just wish I'd kept the sport&rally skidplate when I traded in my '88

900T. Had some impressive dents in it, made me glad it was there.
Reply to
Dave Hinz

I do not profess to know evrything about the 9k, or anything else. But on this particular item (skid plate) I know exactly what he was talking about, haveing owned the c900 myself at one time. At one time it hit a parking curb and caused rearrangement of the shift linkage.

No. No 9k I know of have a skid plate.

Reply to
yaofeng

My Haynes shows it to be on the inside of the tranny case; it's inset to look like just another trans bolt, but there are too many in that area... Just above the filter.

Reply to
Valjean