GM/Saab finally got the V6 right...

I've encountered quite a few excellent inline 6's, in fact I'd be hard pressed to think of one that's got a bad reputation. V6's on the other hand, I can't think of one with a particularly good reputation, they range from OK to lousy.

Reply to
James Sweet

Ah yes, I remember that from my old Mk1 Renault 5. Mind-you, that had suspension so soft it would nearly scrape the door mirrors along the road on corners...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

in article 7LYpf.11065$CL.3269@trnddc04, James Sweet at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 20/12/2005 19:15:

Right on, brother ... apart from the C900, the Triumph GT6 is about the only other car that "really does it for me". Inline 6s rule ... V6s don't! I think TVR proved that :)

I can also think of one V6 that was okay, though - the MG 6R4? Okay, so it was a cut down Rover V8, but it made the Metro cool! I jest, yes :)

All that aside, the discussion of the the SAAB turbo V6 leads me to say the following. SAAB could easily achieve that power (and more) on their tried and tested 4 cylinder turbo. The B2XX engine has been honed by SAAB over nearly 25 years and the V6 turbo is simply playing the numbers game. Nothing more. I have driven one and my only thoughts were that it felt like driving an Audi engine in a very poor shell. Cramped, plastic and I didn't feel safe ... a very odd thing indeed to have to say in a SAAB ... and not in a "good way", which I do still experience daily in my C900 :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, SmaartAasSaabr at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 19/12/2005 22:05:

... Or an 800 BHP 9000 B234? Check Maptun. Corporations limit ... Owners tune!

Reply to
Paul Halliday

I'm quite familiar. My point is that most car makers abandoned the turbo. One of the reasons I like Saab's is *because* they stuck with the turbo. My Viggen has 260 Ft/Lbs of torque and is getting me 30mpg! Not bad for a 2.3L

4 cylinder.

Too bad eh? Imagine if GM were to unleash some of the Saab engineers to reengineer their archaic V-6 and V-8s.

Reply to
WitchDr

"ma_twain" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com...

Rubbish.

First off, the new V6 uses a chain. Second, Saab has lowered the costs of the DI-cassettes to around $120.-

Reply to
Henrik B.

Correction. That should have been "...the former"

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Yeah, my bad. I meant top say "the former"

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I can think of one very lousy V6. It is sitting in my driveway . . .

Reply to
ma_twain

All of the web articles did not provide information on the timing belt/chain engine design. All they talked about was power.

I do not need DI cassettes in the Saab I am keeping because it is real Saab, designed and made when Saab was not owned by GM. If GM/Saab can sell the DI cassettes for $120 and still make money, why were they charging so much before? Do we call it price gouging or markup because Saab was their premium brand name?

Reply to
ma_twain