Help wiring trailer lights to a '94 9000

I am trying to wire up trailer lights on my 1994 9000CSE. I have located the 10 pin connector near the left tail light, but am not sure what to do next.

Does anyone know if:

  1. I need something like a Modulite to draw power from the battery as opposed to the existing tail lights?

  1. Assuming I need a Modulite, is there 12V+ power in that 10 pin connector already, or do I need to run a wire to the battery?

  2. Does anyone make a wiring harness or adapter that will fit the Saab
10 pin connector, or do I just need to splice / tap into the existing wires?
Reply to
Sailman

I have no idea what a modulite is but everything you need is in that wiring harness for the connector. No wire to the battery is necessary. It is easy to tap into the wires that go to the connector by using the kind of taps that do not require cutting the wires. If your trailer uses the U.S. D.O.T. light system you do need a converter to connect to the European brake light system. Most auto stores stock these for about $20. They come with instructions but you may need a test light so you can tell which pin (and corresponding wire) in the connector does what. Some come with an U.S. trailer connector and some require the addition of a connector. Make sure the connector matches that of your trailer.

I have installed converters on both of our CSEs. It can be done in 20 min. If the converter does not come with a peel and stick surface, velcro it to the inside of the rear quarter panel so it does not rattle around.

Reply to
R. Frist