New clutch noisy

I used this weekend to do change the clutch on my 93 9000. Everything went fine, and the car is now drivable jusr as before, except for a terrible noise when the clutch is slipping. OK during driving and idling widt pedal fully depressed.

Sounds like a pig dying or somethimg, metal-to-metal.

Could it be that I used abrasive paper on the flywheel to make it shine (silly, I admit)?

If the disk is the wrong way, I wouldn't be able to drive, would I?

Reply to
frode

Did you replace the throw-out and pilot bearings?

Ouch. Sounds like a re-do to some extent.

No, that's neither suspect nor particularly silly, assuming you got all the grit out of there.

That, I don't know; I'd be surprised if you could have done so. Did everything seem right when you tightened the pressure plate down, or did things go wierd then?

I didn't have a 9000 but the 900's clutch is pretty much the same, I don't think you could put it in backwards without noticing. Maybe I'm wrong ;)

Maybe someone here will have more specific advice, but I'm thinking "take it apart and see what's shiny and/or gouged, and that's the part with problems". Lots of work, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The 9000 does not have a pilot bearing like the old 900/99's, the throw-out was swapped with a newer one, and the slave cyl. rebuilt by me. If this was the problem, I would expect a lot of noise with the pedal fully pressed, but the noise is kind of proportional to the torque conveyed to the transmission. That means the source of the sound is where the pressure is applied.

Washed it with alcohol afterwards

I can think of only three possible explanations, listed in order of probability:

  1. The disk is doing some high-frequency judder, causing the spring action to produce the metallic stream
  2. Problem with the disk itself, but its a genuine Sachs
  3. Disk wrong way
Reply to
frode

Well, that's not it then. Was the flywheel blued which might indicate warping or other problems? What was the problem with the clutch you replaced, and how bad was it? Did you remove the flywheel from the crankshaft for this purpose? (long-shot, not sure if that could matter, but worth ruling out).

These two would be unusual, being Sachs especially.

  1. Pressure plate not flat, causing 1. above maybe?

I'm going to sit back at this point & see if a couple of others chime in with suggestions. I think either way, it involves a teardown I'm afraid.

Please let us know what you find? Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The clutch was not at all failing, I just wantet to swap it before the coming holiday trips and the next winter as I don't have a heated garage. The the old one had 230000kms on it I think but was still operating OK and not overly thin, so it may have been swapped before I got the car at

175000.

Also changed the pressure plate.

I did take off the flywheel and replaced the main seal as well.

Thanks a lot Dave, I sent the story some pictures I took to Speedparts, who sold me the kit.

At least this gives me a good excuse to drive the 99T I have in spare, so the situation is not that bad at all :-)

Reply to
frode

A bit SAABS magic:-)

Like a clutch disk being able to flip around inside that tight space!!? And with a driveshaft through it!

Maybe David Copperfield or one of his likes are in the neighborhood?

Reply to
frode

Ah, the old "Clutch disk flipping around in a confined space" trick, yeah, that happens sometimes.

Must be it. Thanks for the followup, a lesser man would have not done so.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz