New tyres fitted to rear?

I had a bad spell in the 90's with tires. I had OE tires blow out on 2 different cars in a perdiod of 3-4 years, both were nearly new company cars. I do not recall what the brands they were, but one occured about

1/2 an hour after hitting a juicy pot-hole in Boston and the other was seemingly "out of the blue" while driving along at highways speeds during the winter.

Neither was particularly dramatic. I just let off the gas and coasted to the side with minimal braking. The worst part was changing to the spare in the fridgid weather and having all of the stuff that I normally carried in my trunk spread all over the snowbank...

Reply to
Fred W

Au contraire, if you remember playing with wagons or toy cars or have ever let go of a shopping cart with a stuck wheel you may have noticed that free wheels always tend to follow locked. A blowout in the front will cause a slight drag to that side that can be easily corrected for. On the other hand a blowout it the back will tend to whip the car around before you know it. You can try this out in an ice covered parking lot if you have rear parking brakes. Pull on the brake and turn the wheel slightly and go for a spin. The classic 900s had true emergency brakes. That is, they were on the front wheels. When you pulled them on on you tended to stop in a straight line.

Reply to
R. Frist

Not all C900's did, my '88 has the emergency brake on the rear wheels and that was long before GM screwed with the design.

Reply to
James Sweet

We had a '85 and an '86 classic both of which I miss. I wonder if putting the emergency brake on the front came from the Saab aircraft engineers. Small planes with tricycle landing gear have only a brake on the front wheel. The much ado about a passenger plane landing with a messed up nose wheel a few weeks ago did not concern many pilots. About the worse that could happen would be a further messed up nose gear (or nose). On the other hand if one of the rear wheels was not functioning that would be a real problem.

Reply to
R. Frist

No, I think the front parking brake was introduced with the 99 model. The old two-stroke models and the Sonett had rear parking brake. The front parking brake was abandoned with the 9000 and from 1988 on the C900.

-- th

Reply to
th

Car was a 1982 Rabbit, tire in question was the original, Original spare, and this was last November, of _2005_.

(It was on the rear btw.)

Place the best tires on the Steering wheels. FWD, RWD same same.

TBerk harumph.

Reply to
TBerk