OT: need some help

Salutations:

If you can read this page (Danish I think) - I could really use some help.

I am interested in getting this tuner, but need to know what shape it's in and if it will work on North American electrical system. Thanks

Reply to
Dexter J

Dutch, both in site location and language.

I'd check the Sony website for specs for the Sony ST 88. Perhaps one of our native-speakers can read moer on this, but I don't see a lot of detail in the description. 50 euros is about 65 bucks or so at the moment, I think.

Roughly, Sony ST88 radio tuner with round controls. Fantastic 70's design. For more Sony 1970's equipment see my other auctions". That's a paraphrase, not a direct translation, but it's close enough.

His other auctions are shown at the "Alle advertenties" link. Perhaps you can "e-mail de adverteerder" with a simply-worded English query of "Does this radio work, and what voltage and Hz. does it use?" might work. The chance of him reading English is better than your or my chance of writing that coherently in Dutch.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

:-) Not bad Dave! It is Dutch indeed. More precise: "For sale: Sony ST88 bookshelf tuner with round tuning-dial. Fantastic etc etc.

Marktplaats.nl is not really an auction site, allthough it looks like one. Most of the time it is best to contact the seller directly by mail and negotiate on the price and conditions. Then you arrange a way for payment and delivery or pickup.

Just click on "Email de adverteerder" and you get the email address of the seller on one of the follwing screens. In English should not be a problem.

Voltage will probably be 220-230 V, since that is what we use over here in NL. Most of the time there is a voltage selector on these things, otherwise you need a transformer (a small one, tuners dont use much..).

Good luck, Richard.

Reply to
OKOK!

Salutations:

Deepest thanks from Canada.

Sorry for the ignorance on the subject and languages - I speak Rex, ActionScript, Perl, XML, a little Cobal and enough French at one time to pick up a date or a meal.. I'm afraid Dutch just hasn't come up before.. :( ..

I happen to have the amp and speakers for that unit, but haven't seen a tuner for it in about 20 years. I kicked an e-mail to the owner. Very odd address though.

Reply to
Dexter J

The .nl in the url is a dead giveaway that it's Dutch (Netherlands)....

I happen to have that ST88 tuner in my garage, with the matching TA88 amp. both sitting right next to my Saabs... Bought the set in 1972 or so, that makes it just as old as my Sonett. My tuner has a 220/110 V toggle switch on the back, so it will work in Canada as well, if it works at all. You could also use a step up transformer. 50 or 60 Hz mains is no problem either. The asking price is EUR 50 (currently about US$ 65) there's a bid on it of E15. You can e-mail the seller, in English is very likely OK. Click on the 'Verstuur' button in the second screen. E-mail me privately if you need more help.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

does not show the seller's e-mail address, theyjust forward your question.FYI, this site now is owned by Ebay, they bought it from the developers sometime ago, to eliminate their competition to
. A typicalcase of "if you can't win'em, buy'em". The original developers, about 25years old, can retire now...

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

Isn't Usenet wonderful? You got a translation, a clarification, and verification that it's what you want, all in about 5 hours.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

.. and found out it had been sold a little while ago.. Rats.. Appriciate all the help though.

You're right, if you are old enough to remember the FIDO net - the newsnet is deeply cool..

Reply to
Dexter J