OT: The Saab Skink! aka Leaf-Tailed Gecko with Fluffy Pillow. 8-)

Hi everyone,

I was lifting up a set of Saab wheel covers the other day which was stored on the tiled floor in our laundry near the clothes dryer, and the picture you can find at:

tells the story. It's a rare Southern Leaf Tailed Gecko (aka Phyllurus Platurus!), and it's living the high life with a nice well-protected 'home' inside the bottom two wheel covers in a stack of four, and because they're sitting next to the corner of the room where our clothes dryer sits, it's always warm and usually moist, and the fluff in the picture has come from many loads of clothes being put through the dryer!

I now call it the Saab Skink (tm) which isn't quite accurate, but Saab Gecko doesn't really work. 8-)

Given that we live directly on the edge of the Royal National Park in Waterfall (Sydney, Australia), this is quite a good find as in the 8 years we've been here I've never seen a leaf-tailed gecko here before, although we have had quite a few interesting visitors to the yard since the big bushfires of Christmas day 2001...

Ok, back to our normal programming. 8-)

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's C900 Site

That's a funny looking animal. Does it have a pouch? :-) It sure has good taste to choose a SAAB wheel for a home. You may want to size the picture down a bit though, to 50% or so.

I know geckos from when I lived in Indonesia, always upside down on the ceiling around the lamps, catching mosquitos and such.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

My missus would freak if she seen that on the floor

Reply to
Gonz

no picciews - comes up with below error

The page cannot be displayed The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Reply to
corks

Sorry dude, not real rare in those parts........ you just have to look harder!

Good looking specimen though!

Keep the cockroach and spider population up in that laundry and he wont leave, we have a wine cellar in a state that looks like something out of the Adams family just to keep the little guys happy! (less than 10km north of you).

Some of them get quite tame after a while, great to have around the house!!

Reply to
JEWEL

He's ugly enough to be named Saab 96 Skink isn't he?

But seriously, what great wildlife you get! Best I can do is house spiders, its cold here in Yorkshire!

Al

Reply to
Al

& a touch of compression wouldn't hurt either...
Reply to
Natalie Drest

Yes after I put the pic up I realised it should have a smaller version available. 8-) I'm very sorry about any problems the large file size might have caused.

I've also moved it - the new gallery location for it is:

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's C900 Site