Re: Air filter housing replacement question

Are the yards I'm ordering these from idiots, or is there something I must

>specify to these guys. I'm out in the boonies so I've spent WAY too much on >shipping charges already for such a cheap part.

Get a digital camera and take some closeup photos of it. If you're ordering online, post them on line or include small shots in an e-mail to them.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

I got out my Official Service Manual (Saab 900 1985-1993), and took a look at their picture (page 110-12, fig.16), and it is indeed different from my part.

Did Saab change the part?...does anyone have a number of the part I need?

Reply to
vomitrific

My 84/85 900T16 has (or rather had) a large vertical cylinder with a curver outlet on top, and a side mounted inlet.

it now has a cone filter with heat shield directly mounted onto the Bosch airflow meter.

I understand that the Lucas air meter models may be different, because the air meter is positioned vertically instead of horizontally as the bosch one is.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

The classic 900 has 3 types of filter housing:

1 900 8 valve carb, injection and turbo

2 900 16 valve injection and turbo with bosch injection

3 900 16 valve with lucas injection

Tom, Saabtech

Reply to
Saabtech

Really? I haven't had a carbed 900 in ages, so I can't remember what that's like. But I currently have a Bosch and a Lucas 900, and they look pretty much the same to me. What am I missing?

Reply to
Grunff

Reply to
Saabtech

Reply to
Saabtech

Thanks Tom, I'll take a closer look at both of mine next time I'm doing stuff under the bonnet.

Reply to
Grunff

I just want to make it clear for myself:

Which one is has air box that is cylindrical shaped, and holds the larger air filter elements. The "bucket."

Once again, I got one that holds the smaller air filter element.

Which part number applies to which?

Reply to
vomitrific

I think the bucket is the bosch one. I had it on mine before I fitted a universal cone filter. The airmeter attaches to the top through a 90degree angled pipe that is on top of the airbox.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Reply to
Saabtech