Saab 900 '97 ball bearings

Hello Saabists,

I own a perfect Saab 900 SE Turbo '97 Talladega model year except that it seems that I have problems with rear ball bearings, since I hear a tiny whistle. The issue is that my car has 60 000 km, so I am a bit disappointed as I am preparing myself to change ball bearings both sides on rear wheels. I would like to know if it often happens at this age. I thought Talladega was a proof of reliability but it now seems to me to be only symbolic :o)

Thanks for any helpful answers Remi

Reply to
north.cape

Bearings don't whistle.

Why? Even if it was bearings (which I *very* much doubt), why on earth would you change both sides?

No, the NG900 isn't great, but bearings don't go at 40k miles.

250k miles maybe, but not 40.

What makes you think it's the bearing? What exactly are the symptoms?

Reply to
Grunff

The symptom is a regular "bang" noise from the back of the car increasing with speed, and passengers behind tell me they hear a whistle. I ask a saab dealer to check the wheels and he told me it was ball bearings fault. I can doubt on this, since they seem to be very undelicate and opportunists with other issues and customers these last times. BTW, I look for an automatic speed control (the saab dealer told me this equipment wasn't available any longer), where can I find it ? Thanks again for answers

"Grunff" a écrit dans le message de news:bkd15j$c15v$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-152899.news.uni-berl>

Reply to
north.cape

Should be easy enough to verify - jack up the back of the car, spin each rear wheel & go from there. I'd be surprised if both sides needed attention; I wouldn't do more than the one side that needs it. If the noise you describe is coming from the bearing, you should be able to hear it just by spinning the wheel by hand.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yes, spin the wheels, and also grab them firmly top+bottom and give them a good shake. Any play?

Regular bang accompanied by a whistle doesn't sound at all like a bearing. Wheel bearings rumble.

Reply to
Grunff