Saab 900 screen-wash pump

I have a November '94 Saab 900 S with the following problem:

When I press the button on the end of the stalk, the rear screen is wiped but the screen wash is sprayed on the front screen.

Unfortunately the Haynes manual and the owners manual don't tie up so I am trying to find out how the pump works before I take the bumper, and the inner wing, off.

I am guessing there is a single pump with relay actuated valves in it for the front an rear screens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Alec

Reply to
Alec Sibbald

I have just done the job a 2nd time on a 9000 1997 (I pressume it is the same bottle etc !!!). It has two pumps. One pump is for the windscreen and lights and sits lower in the bottle the other pump is for the rear glass.

If it helps at all. Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles Christacopoulos

I have the same problem, front washer works fine but rear washer doesn't. I bought the Hayes manual as well but it does not really cover this subject very well. btw i have a saab 900 from 1996.

is it a lot of work to replace one of these pumps? the fact that the rear washer does not work is not that important to me,

for the lamp washers, which pump is used, the one for the front window or the rear, i don't think the lamp washers work so my guess is they use the same pump as is used for the rear washer

any ideas?

butre

Reply to
Butre

Nope, very easy, just remove the wheel arch trim and inner wheel arch and you can get at the washer bottle and pumps. The pumps can be pulled out without removing the washer bottle.

I'm getting pretty good at this job on bottles now having done both my

9000's bottle splits, one of them twice because the epoxy resin cracked. FWIW, it's probably worth having a very good inspection of the rear bottle support rod where the bottle meets the rod as this is a major cause of splitting.

Last time I fixed mine, I melted it together with a soldering iron (15W) and then reinforced the lot with glass fibre matting.

David.

Headlight washers are on the front windscreen pump. You may have blocked nozzles, try removing the supply pipe to the wiper.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor