Saab Owner in Distress

My 1997 Saab 900 SE Turbo has developed a rust hole on the strut tower and cracked after hitting a pot hole. I have never seen rust in this area on a car before. The rest of the car is virtually rust free. The car has 168000 miles and runs great the body is good. My friends tell me to dump it. What to do? I really like the car. My quandry is that I can not in good consience sell the car as it is and I am not sure whether I should fix it and keep it.

Does anyone have advice and does this problem exist as common?

Reply to
ed

Many decades ago, on cars generally, rust around the strut fixing was common and 3rd party patch panels were common to fix this.

Maybe you can fabricate such a patch from a wrecked 900 chassis ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Ed,

Simple, fix the small problem with a good body shop, done.

While they are at it, do the other side as preventative maintenance.

Saab Guy

Reply to
Saab Guy

I have never seen it on a SAAB - but I did see a VW Passat this winter that had rusted out along the welds that held the strut tower cap in place. About the same vintage as yours.

The repair undertaken was to angle grind, clean and re-weld along the seams.

I wonder if your bumpstop in the strut has failed or if your strut bearing had come loose and twisted?

Reply to
Dexter J

I figure I can put about 2g into the car before it becomes a loser. I am stopping at a body shop to get an estimate.

Reply to
ed

Had a Skoda Favorit like that. Looked like a little weld rust. So I got the dremel on it with a=20 grinding stone. Plan was to grind the rust off and trat the left over,=20 stone chip it and repaint.

Went right through. Got a local body man to lap plate it (most of the surrounding metal was=20 totally clean when he stripped the paint back).

I did as above to make sure it didn't come back, and again on the inside=20 of the strut tower.

Car wasn't worth putting lots of time and money into (only cost me =A380+= =20 a windscreen). It was just a runabout that was fun to play with, and=20 wrench myself.Mechanically very simple, structurally very strong.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar