SaabUSA Biopower survey

Well, they have to approve the permit, right?

Oh, the production of energy isn't done by the gummint, of course. But they do approve new plants. Or in the case of nuke, they don't.

See above.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

WTF is _that_?

Well, nothing new there. Hey wind companies? Wanna put up a tower? I've got 30 acres of hilltop with unubstructed views.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Typically complaints about noise or the spoilt view.

You got the wind too ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Maybe I presented it poorly. The govt here is clearly pro-nuclear now but media coverage appears to assume it's their prerogative to built new nuclear stations when obviously it's actually down to the private sector.

I don't think it'll be a problem now. Assuming any companies want to build them

I'm wondering if the govt won't assist by offering to cover liability issues.

In any event the technology still has to be commercially viable ! Currently it seems not to be.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 01/02/2006 17:26:

The only man-made structure I can see to the back of my house is a range of windmills about 3 or 4 miles away. I like them. Close-up, I find them quite awe-inspiring and not at all noisy when running.

Yorkshire Electricity (the power company in my area) are one of only a handful of power companies in the UK to pay you, the customer, to feed the national grid with your excess power production. The problem for a home user is the ROI when installing something like a windmill, or solar panels. Between a lack of grants and the palm-greasing down at the local council to get planning approval, erecting a wind turbine is pretty costly. At least solar panels can be stealthily installed :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

One problem the nuclear industry has had to face is being in competition with comparitively "cheap" fossil fuel alternatives which made them seem expensive or a bad investment. Of course that is all about to change...

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Hm. To me, a wind farm is a beautiful thing.

Yeah, sorry about that, that was me.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

seems not to be.

Again, this is one of those things I'd rather subsidize (or subsidise if you prefer) in order to get to a point where we can be more energy independant.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Read the report. Don't miss the footnotes. I'm not your librarian.

It isn't a backpedel. It was a typo. That's clear if you read the report (above) and my intention is clear since my statement is based on the report.

Whatever.

No, not at all. I hear pump prices are controlled by Elvis.

He's a politician. Read between the lines. Go look at the Energy Bill and tell me how it splits *my* money between oil companies and alternative energy.

I can, but I won't. I have no need to engage in a long winded argument over this. I have a life, it's full of pretty women, and I'd rather spend my time emailing one of them that arguing with you about reality.

Reply to
Bob

I have. You made a claim that doesn't seem to be backed up by the report. I'm asking what part of the report you think backs up your claim. Seems to me the burdon of proof is on the person making the original claim, not on the person challenging it.

If you say so.

The oil companies don't set oil prices, any more than the place you buy gold or silver or any other commodity from, sets _those_ prices. The market determines the price, not the vendors. It's not a tough concept.

I'm not your librarian. Do your own homework.

That's fine - enjoy your private reality. Good luck when it happens to intersect with the one the rest of us are in.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A bit to late for that now...

Reply to