Saggy Headlining Question (UK)

Hi All, I am contemplating buying a Saab 9000 (used). I have read there is a problem regarding the headlining "drooping" - whatever THAT may mean. Is this an expensive thing to correct? I'm not looking at one WITH said problem, but i am just "covering the bases" so to speak - in case, further down the road, the one i get DOES start to sag, i would like to know in advance how difficult (and effective) a repair will be

Cheers

Sankey

Reply to
Sankey

....er .............I have the same problem and would appreciate help with this. thanks, Denise

Reply to
Dee Varley

The only long term repair is removal of the headlining shell and relining with new cloth. Takes about a day to do. Worth googling this group for, it's come up lots in the past.

TBH, this isn't that big a deal - far worse things will go wrong with your car!

Reply to
Grunff

in article c2ftos$1r2vnh$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-152899.news.uni-berlin.de, Grunff at snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com wrote on 07/03/2004 19:38:

Cutting a short slash into the saggy bit and squirting some spray glue (from an aerosol) into the void does the trick. Often the sag right at the back can be tucked after the gluing to take up any slack.

Well that's let the cat out of the bag ...

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

The lining material that Saab uses is a type of velour fabric with a foam baking that is bonded to a formed cardboard liner. The foam breaks down over time. Regluing yields poor results, since you are merely gluing the disintegrating foam. Most windshield replacement shops can replace liners. The old fabric is removed, and the foam is scraped from the cardboard. New foam backed material is bonded to the cardboard...expect another 10+ years before the new liner sags. This is neither a difficult or expensive repair.

BL

Reply to
BL