sticking in reverse!

I hope someone can help me, I've got a saab 900 E reg, and it has started to stick in reverse, the only way I can get it out of reverse is to turn the car off. It is also randomly stalling in low gears - not all the time, but I'm assuming these are related. Please can someone tell me what is wrong? thanks Jo

Reply to
jo

Sounds like the clutch is sticking. Get a new clutch.

Reply to
The Brown & Ollis-Brown Family

Well, that's not really the answer.

It could well be that the clutch is not fully disengaging, but if this is the case, then the fault is most likely to be the clutch hydraulics rather than the clutch itself.

Reply to
Grunff

This is one where you must put the car in reverse to get the key out right? I would guess something with that mechanism is broken or misaligned.

Reply to
James Sweet

Clutch hydrolics sound expensive already! How much would it be to fix, is this straight forward? thanks Jo

Reply to
jo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

If it's broken might be expensive in labour terms. If it is miss aligned it will be a little bit fiddley but not to bad in labour terms.

Hydraulics are scary but not too bad and it may just need a bleed/fluid replacement rather than any parts replacing.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Depends if you DIY or have it done'.

A clutch hydrolics repair kit is only EUR 20 or so

If it IS the clutch master or slave, it is relatively easy to fix.

test;

- check for obvious fluid leaks around the slave cyl (on front part of engine, under a plastic cover) or master cyl (under dashboard, where it goes trough the firewall)

- with engine running

- depress clutch pedal

- put in gear

- keep your foot down on the clutch pedal

- if the clutch seals are worn the system will lose pressure, the clutch will engage and the car will start to move (within a minute)

------ MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH