What the? This interior looks like the 9-3? Who stole what??

your bookmarks.

What a nuisance. When trying to install Netscape 8.0 it lists some minimum computer requirements, and then a message comes up that my computer doesn't satisfy those requirements. Then I can only click OK to exit the installation. But it does satisitisfy those requirements!

Reply to
Johannes

Is this really surprising...it basically is a 9-3.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

But it looks ugly !

WTF does GM think it's doing. If the 'Euro Cadillac' is a sales success I'll eat my proverbial hat.

For one thing - I reckon that - even if it got rave reviews - there's going to be stiff consumer resistance to a US badged car on account of the current anti-US sentiment in Europe ( and elsewhere too fwiw ).

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yes what are they thinking? Maybe the idea is that the car is a kind of jewelry with cut stones as front and rear light to produce a 'bling' effect. This cut faced design is quite ugly by European eyes, we think a car should be smooth and aerodynamic.

Reply to
Johannes

import your bookmarks.

Actually, it's not necessary to install plug-ins via Netscape's site.

The product ( whatever plug-in is required ) is usually available at the originator's site and can be installed from there.

I say 'usually' since I just went to macromedia.com and all I could find were paid versions of Flash as an authoring tool.

Google found it though. I think it's Flash you need.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

import your bookmarks.

originator's site and can

paid versions of Flash

I think there is a bug in the Netscape 8.0 installation software; it probably checks for 64MB free memory instead of 64MB installed memory.

I gave up installing Netscape 8.0 and installed Mozilla Firefox instead. It easily found the required plug-in by itself and everything runs smoothly. I now also get the picture of the caddilac.

Reply to
Johannes

Actually I see some of the Escalade styling in play. Esp the grille. And, yes, Escalade = bling in most ppl's books.

Me too. I love the svelte smooth low bonnet line look that's been Saab's trademark for decades now. Subtly understated but powerful and purposeful. Looks like a car that means business.

Here we see a Caddy with a classic 80s 'chip cutter' grille !

I can only assume the Yanks think their kind of styling is 'better' than ours ! The marketplace will provide the answer.

I also find it utterly weird that GM apparently thinks it can sell more Saabs by branding the car ( clearly a 9-3 derivative ) as a Cadillac ! Maybe they could have spent the money developing the Caddy more usefully on reducing the purchase price of 9-3s ?

In Europe, Cadillac is seen as a joke brand. I don't see this model changing anything.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

import your bookmarks.

originator's site and can

were paid versions of Flash

Good. Pleased to hear you got that fixed.

Btw, I can seriously recommend the use of rather more than 64M of memory. I have a few utilities that monitor memory usage and I've found that you're frankly crippling any recent Windows box in a typical scenario if you don't have around 160 - 256M. I tend to prefer 384 or 512M.

Memory chips are cheap. Esp if bought second hand on Ebay as I have done.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Actually, I think the classic Saab design used to be contrarian and somewhat boxy. And all the better for it. Whenever I drive next to a well-maintained early 90's 900 (especially the coupe, because at this point in time it does not look like the convertible contingent has aged well as a whole) I find myself nostalgically wishing I'd gotten one and taken very good care of it back in the day. Oh well, decisions we have to live with. It was an awesome design. I wish they had the balls to revive more elements of it. If horrid stuff like the new Mustang is doing so well, I think a sizeable number of discerning people would come out of the woddworks to get a classic looking Saab (with the longevity engineering to back up the looks!).

....pablo

Reply to
pablo

Pablo, the NEXT SAAB HATCHBACK will be available in 2008 so I hear.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

to import your bookmarks.

originator's site and can

were paid versions of Flash

have a few utilities that

Windows box in a typical

I know, but this computer's old TX motherboard will only cache 64MB, so fitting more is actually counterproductive. I do have another 1GB P4 computer in my network, but I like the old one for the internet since it can run silently without any fan action. It's set up very efficiently, so it normally works surprisingly well. But I have plans of getting a VIA CPU/board for quiet internet surfing.

Reply to
Johannes

It's quite ugly by these American eyes too. It is a prevalent feature through the entire butt ugly Cadillac line-up.

None of which makes much marketing sense since the traditional Caddy buyer is an 70' something retiree. I don't think the blue hairs want bling... and younger folks don't want Caddys.

No wonder GM has financial problems. Their marketing guys must have silly-putty for brains.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Yes, these eyes also. I'd for people to assume that I like Cadillacs just because I'm from the US.

Indeed. I'm not sure how well GM's attempt to make Cadillac a brand for rich young people is working out. FWIW, my 80 year old grandfather drives a huge Cadillac. And having old people (poor sight, hearing, reflexes, etc) driving gigantic, heavy cars is a terrifying thing.

John

Reply to
John B

I've seen companies trashed before because the ppl at the top making the decisions didn't have a clue.

Shame that GM feels the need to trash Saab in this way.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

"Saab Guy" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com...

With my fav. actor "The Clint". :o)

Reply to
Henrik B.

Henrik,

Again, what Saab videos do you have?

Can you please list them? I never got your response.

Thanks.

Reply to
Saab Guy

have a few utilities that

Windows box in a typical

Johannes,

I concur here. If you are using Windows98 and not even Windows98SE, both of which are about 8-9 years old now, and 64MB of memory is the size for video cards today which is low. 512MB at a minimum, that'll cost about $50-$80 USD max roughly for that thing. What kind of processor does it have?

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

have a few utilities that

Windows box in a typical

which are about 8-9 years old now, and 64MB of memory is the size for video cards today which is low. 512MB at a minimum, that'll cost about $50-$80 USD max roughly for that thing. What kind of processor does it have?

I use Windows98SE. Memory upgrade beyond 64MB wont work well for this motherboard, since it can only cache 64MB; that's the basic problem. Windows would automatically load at top of memory and drop out of caching. But it runs well in most cases, no problem apart from when there are bugs in the Netscape 8.0 installation software :-( A more general upgrade is in the pipeline. I have plans to fit a VIA CPU/board for a silent internet computer since it's small enough to fit into this case. I do have another computer with 1GB, but not connected to the internet.

I have another job on my hand for 9000 CSE. The coolant need to be replaced and the system need to be flushed. The anti-corrosion additives only last 3 years, and it has been a bit more than that. I'll have to find out more how best to do it.

Reply to
Johannes

What are the requirements?

I've tried every browser I'm aware of and IMO Firefox absolutely blows away all of them but really that site should work on anything with Flash installed, though unfortunatly so will a lot of animated banner ads and popups. Thankfully Firefox with the Adblock plugin can easily eliminate all of them though.

Reply to
James Sweet

This is getting *way* off topic, but do a google search for silent PC, there's quite a few special CPU coolers, quiet power supplies and other things to quiet down your machine, you can build a PC that's about as powerful as you want and have it virtually silent.

Reply to
James Sweet