Wheels on new Saab

Only if you want your wheels to look permanently clean and you enjoy cleaning wheels for a pastime. I do neither.

sun, the dust actually gets "baked" into the clearcoat enamel, then eats at the aluminum since it's stuck in there, at that point, your wheel is PERMANENTLY RUINED.

Can't say I've ever noticed any brake-dust damage on any of the cars I've owned in around 20 years of abusing them. Then again, we don't get much in the way of sun in the UK (if that has anything to do with it).

Oh yes it is!

Even assuming I somehow manage to completely knacker the varnish, how will this affect the ability of the wheel to operate? Surely It'll just affect its ability to look nice.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying cleaning your wheels or hand-washing your car, loads of people do. I'm not one of them. I don't enjoy it and I don't spend my spare time doing things I don't enjoy.

Right, time to trim that bloody hedge... Doh!

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Just SAAB Dayton (Ohio). They have three stores in the Cincinnati-Dayton Area.

SB

Saab Guy wrote:

Reply to
SpongeBob

OK, I give this message a 4.3 out of 5.0 on the troll-o-meter...

;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Are you kidding? If someone's feeding me free starbucks, I have a lot more than 45 minutes to spare on Saturday mornings... Grab myself a paper on the way in and I'd be in heaven.

No kidding... I have to find myself one of these deals.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

If it wasn't someone we know, I'd agree. But, he _is_ in the UK, so the moss is certainly plausible.

There's a reason that that part of the world is known for being so green...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

They also have the newspaper, Cable TV, and Internet.

SB

Reply to
SpongeBob

I believe the classic reply is 'spit and polish'. Additional elbow grease may help.

A toothbrush will get into those awkward corners.

High pressure hose ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Graham,

On the new 9-3 SS wheels, I use about 5 cue-tips on each wheel in between the bolts and the wheel, it's too small for a toothbrush.

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

When you finally get the wheels clean, try applying a coat of acrylic floor polish

Reply to
Jim Quan

bolts and the wheel, it's too small for a toothbrush.

That's dedication for you !

I normally only use cotton buds for cleaning stuff like sensitive electronic parts.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and levity. I'm one of those who actually enjoys cleaning and polishing my cars. This is my wife's car and sadly, I've been too darned busy (we have 3 other vehicles to maintain) to dedicate an afternoon to cleaning her car right. She couldn't care less. The comments about the possible pitting in the hot sun concern me. We live in north Texas and certainly have lots of hot sun. That's what prompted my question last night. I had rubbed on one of the wheels and it felt like it might be pitted. That would suck so bad....but it's my own fault. I need to prioritize!

-------------------

"DFW Dot" wrote

Reply to
DFW Dot

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Colin Stamp at snipped-for-privacy@stamp.plus.com wrote on 01/06/2005 19:00:

Wonder Wheels, eh? I'm about to take possession of a set of those cross-spoke wheels for my C900, which were quite badly neglected by the previous owner in terms of cleanliness.

Concerned that convention car products available off the shelf might be a little weak, I was thinking about using Cilit Bang but worried about it stripping the lacquer. Do you think dusty dirty cross-spoke wheels would come up well with Wonder Wheels and a little scrubbing? I've wasted my money before on half a dozen "back to black" type products for the whaletail rubber, just to find that old fashioned boot polish does the best job. Don't want to product test the same number of wheel cleaning products to find I have something in the kitchen already.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

I too had heard that acrylic floor polish would reduce the accumulatio or pad dust. I tied and continue to use it on my wife's Jetta (Please excuse the obscenity) and my Aero..

I recommend it.

the stuff is still around but we never use it at home. My oak floors are finished in Tung oil (which I highly recommend for application and for full or spot maintenance. The grater part being covered with orientals and I incorporated a lot of very high quality ceramics.

Ciao,

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

Malcom,

Remember, you want a polish strong enough to remove the dust, but not too strong to remove the clearcoat on the wheel.

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

Sure. That's why it didn't score a perfect 5.0! ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

strong to remove the clearcoat on the wheel.

The acrylic floor polish is only applied over clean wheels to prevent and protect from future brake dust buildup. It will not/ does not provide any cleaning action.

Question for Malcolm, what happens if/when you get some on the tires? Does it give you that "wet shine" look? Or does it just crack and look nasty, thus it is to be avoided?

TIA,

-Fred W

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I'd certainly give it a go. It's seriously good stuff. A years worth of rock-solid crud just dissolved. It does come with all sorts of warnings about not using it if the lacquer is damaged etc. Even the bloke behind the till in the shop I bought it from warned me not to leave it on the wheels for more than 30 seconds.

I ignored all of that, of course, and left it on my scuffed alloys for a couple of minutes. It didn't do any extra damage. The scuffs were just clean scuffs afterwards. YMMV, of course. I accept no responsibility if it dissolves your wheels leaving only a shell of hard brake-dust ;o)

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Me? Troll? Oh no no no no no ;o)

I didn't make any of it up though. As soon as they make a self-cleaning car, I'll buy it (as long as it does 0-60 in less than 7 seconds). Until then, I revel in the knowledge that I'm the only one who doesn't have to look at the filthy car I'm driving :o)

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Well, don't be too sure of that. Once they are offloaded from the boat and before they are put onto the truck...they are washed with a automatic car wash. I used to laugh because my step dad swore his Jag was never washed by a machine...then I showed him the offload facility...ack the horror;)

Not all carwashes are created equally though. Hanna used to have some kick ass machines that didn't scratch. The key is to look for the very wide type washes that are good cloth. Your typical gas station auto wash is guaranteed to screw your paint up.

Reply to
WitchDr

For wheels, I've been using DuPont Teflon Wheel cleaner. The stuff is great but make sure you use it on cool wheels. My wifes 900SE had what I figured were permanent brake dust stains on her wheels and this stuff got it off (with some scrubbing). It also keeps my Viggen wheels in good shape. The stuff is like $5 a bottle and the best I've found.

Reply to
WitchDr