Chrome Wheels on 2000 Concorde LXi

Had the car since last November but never cleaned the wheels. Took chrome cleaner and everything came off with relatively little effort... but a lot of time. There's got to be an easier way!

Anyone have any pointers for reducing the time needed to clean and polish these puppies?

Reply to
John Gregory

deadbeat

I agree.

I always wash and polish the wheels each time I clean the car. What a difference chrome wheels make.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

There are cloth polishing wheels that look like little strips of cloth. The thought occurred to me that chrome cleaner could be applied to one polishing wheel then used on each chrome wheel. Then change the polishing wheel to a clean one and simply buff the chrome. At least it sounds good in principle.

Has anyone done it or something similar? Any other ideas? Increasing the frequency of cleaning does nothing other than waste more time. The amount of time the chrome cleaner has to work on the tarnish is not a factor. If the wheels are cleaned once a week or twice a year... the cleaner handles the tarnish. The problem is getting in between all those damn "spokes" with my fingers. I'm looking for something that can do a decent job and do it quickly. The polishing pads look like a possibility .... provided they don't get eaten in the corners of the spokes.

Reply to
John Gregory

John,

Sorry, I've never seen or heard of them but go to

or
as they usually have just about anything to clean avehicle including polishing wheels. Advanced Auto Parts also carries some pretty good products.

Yes, I agree about getting in between the spokes. They are small and it can be a tedious job but well worth it.

Let me know if you come across something.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

How about his; a "cotton cord polishing wheel"

One to apply the chrome polish ... and one to remove it. (I assume the 2000 Concorde LXi spoke wheels ARE chrome are they not? I see that knowing the correct composition is important when choosing a cleaner/polish. I used simple chrome cleaner without knowing and it seems to have done fine.)

And what about applying clear kote over it once it's clean. Any pitfalls in that?

Reply to
John Gregory

I'm pretty sure that wheels on the LXi are chrome. I was cleaning mine last night and everytime I went to remove the polish, it reminded me of the thread ;-)

It was a little rough to remove. I should've let the polish dry a little longer on the wheels before removing it.

Not really sure about applying clear kote and I will check into the link later today. regarding the wheel.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike