02' SL1 accelerating when braking...HELP!

I have a 2002 Saturn SL1, and a good 1/3 of the time when I break (whether on a hill or on flat road), the car accelerates up to 2,500 RPMs. It also happens when I am almost completely stopped, which worries me because I don't want to bump anyone on front of me. I am trying to find some answers ahead of time so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg to get my car evaluated at a Saturn dealer an hour away. The car has 71500miless approx on it, and it is mostly driven around town and occasionaly on the highway, and it is located in Vermont.

-- Message posted using

information at

tswatkins

Examine the pedal cluster up under the dash. My guess is that when you push the brake, it is somehow pulling on the throttle cable.

Reply to
Oppie

Sounds just like a faulty Engine Coolant Temp Sensor.

Reply to
BläBlä

One would think that if the CTS was faulty, the idle would stay high regardless. Is this linked with vehicle speed sensor?

when the engine is warmed up and idling (neutral, parking brake on) what is the idle RPM? should be about 550.

Reply to
Oppie

It could be the power brake booster:

Sometimes the diaphragm tears, and it leaks vacuum when you step on the brake pedal.

Reply to
Refinish King

I think this is a good place to start.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Worth checking on. If you feel OK driving without power brakes, pinch off the vacuum line to the brake booster and see if you get the same behavior.

Any major vacuum leak could conceivably cause RPM to increase. Also check PCV valve and charcoal canniser purge solenoid.

Reply to
Oppie