'05 Vue Wheel Bearings

2005 VUE, FWD, V6 Auto. Took to dealer for howling noise and as I suspected, all 4 wheel bearings need replaced. Fortunatly, all under warranty. My worry is why in the world would these bearings go bad at 43,000 miles? If this is normal, I guess I will be soon looking for another car!

JohnS San Diego, CA

Reply to
JohnS

I have a 06 Vue with the 4 cyl, 5 speed...Had the same thing happen, but only the front bearings, not the back, and at about 50K. Sounded like I was driving with snow tires on the front...Anyway, seems to be a common issue with the Vue (Google it and find out)...Some never have a problem, others do. I would suggest that if your handy, do it yourself next time when the cars out of warranty. It really is kind of easy and only took 1-1/2 hours to change out both front (and that was doing them for the first time). I found Timken bearings/Hubs online for mine at $110 each as you have to replace the whole hub....Better than the ~$800 that the dealer and ~$500 for the local garage wanted.

The bearings have been an issue from the beginning and they never did anything about it, but the Vue is great for me and I get 32 MPG, which is great for that size vehicle, so I'll be sticking with it....

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

What kind of sound and at what speeds? My wife's '05 has had this - erm - rattle in the front at between 5MPH and about 20MPH. After that it isn't noticeable.

Different sources for the bearings?

Reply to
PerfectReign

heh - describing sounds in usenet is interesting.......I would not describe it as a rattle, though - more of a hum. The faster you drive, the higher the pitch of the hum, until you can't hear it due to the pitch and other factors like road noise and such, which was why it seemed to disappear. I thought snow tires or tires going bad was a good description, as I heard it and didn't feel it. As to different sources, I don't know - could be. I think I remember someone stating that the Timken bearings are the OEM bearings, and that's what I put on. They are the best to replace them with as the aftermarkets I saw were foreign crap and was told I'd be replacing them even sooner. Timken is a good bearing manufacturer, as I use them for unrelated bearings with my job, so I truly believe it's not a problem with the bearings, but that the wrong bearings were specified in the first place for the design of the Vue. As for why some go, and some don't, driving habits (aggressive/passive styles) may have to play a part. I used to be an aggressive driver with hard turns and such, but have calmed down as of late with gas prices, and a family to think about. My 68 year old father has the same Vue as you (but an '06), (and drives like a 68 year old), has 40K on it and his bearings are fine.........(so far) :)

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

PerfectReign wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

If you have a "rattle" then it is not wheel bearings. Most likely some kind of suspension bushings (another frequent issue with VUE's) since mine have been replaced 3 times now. Since I am not a mechanic and don't want to be one, I am dumping this thing before I get 60k on it and no warranty. JohnS

Reply to
JohnS

Isn't that a U2 album?

thanks for the description.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Okay - I was just wondering. We actually haven't taken it in yet, and I planned to do so next month.

Reply to
PerfectReign