Give your old SL2 some new life!

About every 3-4 years I have to replace the upper torque axis motor mount due to vibration issues. I noticed lately that my teeth were vibrating on cold mornings when I would drive to work. So off to Saturn I went to get another mount. Another new design! Take a look at the difference.

I suggest you change yours over if you have the old style. The new part made it feel like new again. The part was less than $50 and took about 15 minutes to install. Now I don't have to go buy a new car!

James

Reply to
James1549

I got the semi-solid lower mounts that seem to allow less movement on the TAM - of course the vibrations are more pronounced all the time and probably not for everyone...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Other than vibration how can one tell if this is needed??

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Rick, I am not sure what the scientific method would be to know if your mount is bad.

But since I changed the mount, no more plastic rattles in the dash or doors, and the engine feels much smoother when idling and accelerating.

James

Reply to
James1549
50k miles and dash/door rattles at idle is one way to tell. I think I read that if you can get your finger between the rubber and the bracket (at the top) with the engine OFF, the mount has collapsed and needs replacing. I've gone through a couple on my 97SL2 with 80 something K. I quit checking after I got the semi-solid lower mounts.
Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Reply to
user

and look in the Drivetrain Upgradesection. And they look just like the Twistec units at
. Not sure why such a diff inprice...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

When they go, the collapse. If you can fit more than a pencil in diameter between the metal bracket on the fender and the part bolted to the engine block, it's time for a new one.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

I just ordered a set of the mounts from Twistec. $73.00 for the pair right now, including shipping (sale price). I'm getting some funny noises right now and those mounts look like they've got a lot of slop. Even if they don't fix the noises the old ones need to be replaced.

Ken

bracket (at

replacing.

Reply to
Napalm Heart

...just a heads up that you're going to get some vibration with the mounts. They definitely have the cool factor (to me). How's the TAM holding up?

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

They sure look cool. I've been getting some vibration anyway, even with a new TAM. The 1 I got had the openings in it, which I filled with windshield urethane. It seems to be doing OK, but I'm going to give it a close inspection when I put the new Twistecs in.

Ken

funny

replaced.

message

accelerating.

Reply to
Napalm Heart

...too funny - one of the gearheads at the Saturn speedshop suggested the same thing as a temp fix for the gap in the TAM - he didn't specific what kinda of caulk other than silicone...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Seems pretty solid. It's been in there for about 2 years or so. I'll update when I check it out. Waiting for the new lower mounts.

suggested the

message

needed??

Reply to
Napalm Heart

I just replaced mine on my 94 SL2. All I can ask is "why did I wait so long?" I replaced it yesterday and when I started it this morning I was amazed at how smooth it was. I guess I had grown accustomed to the vibration. Of course, I was in the parts store picking up some oil so I got stuck with a cheap aftermarket one. If the original lasted 10+ years I hope this will last at least a year or two.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I have a 98SL2 ... should I replace some mount on it? ... Roy

Reply to
ProfWdesk1

Do you know what the upper motor mount looks like? Usually if you can stick your index finger inbetween the bracket and the rubber its time for a new one. Thats a real quick way to check them while they're being serviced.

I cant find a pic of one but its on the front of the engine (passenger side of car) right on top. Its sorta shaped like a upside down "U" infront of the valve cover.

Reply to
Blah blah