Hard to start

97 Saturn sl, automatic, the engine will not start when the engine has not been started for a day or so. The caar turns over without any hesitation, the fuel pump works and seems to pressurize the system but he car will not start. When a small amount of starting fluid is sprayed into the air intake it starts immisiatly. Runs smooth without lost of power. Took car the local Auto Zone and they were unble to read any codes from the computer. They stated that once the car starts the codes can not be read.

Does the car have a cold start system? How can I determine that this is the problem? Any Ideas Are Welcome Thanks

Reply to
chuck50

Usually the car shoots a priming shot of fuel into the engine. Maybe your injectors are sticking on that priming shot. (but all 4 at once? unlikely) First I would probably pull the plugs and make sure they are good. My other thought would be your ecm is seeing Wide Open Throttle (wot) and that is the clear flood mode which prevents your injectors from pulsing unless the engine goes over 400rpm or so then it will start pulsing the injectors.

Reply to
Blah Blah

I have a 97 also. There was a recall several years back on the fuel pumps because of letting pressure drop after the engine had been shut off. The fuel pump is supposed to maintain enough pressure so that when you go to start the car (like the next day) the injectors still have enough pressure to spray adequately to start the engine. My symptoms were a hard to start engine after it had set over night. I would have to open the throttle a lot and after a lot of cranking it would finally start. Once started there was no problem. I would suggest checking the pressure with the ignition turned off to see if the fuel pump is not holding.

Reply to
ROY HINDS