*HELP Needed* 96 SL2 Engine Block Heater Location

From my understanding the engine block heater mounts on the engline block.

The question is where?

I'm sure there are plenty of people with this. Could someone go look.

I really appreciate this. Michael

Reply to
MO

It bolts to the front of the block just to the left of the coil pack and right under the oil dipstick. It should come with a diagram if you buy it from Saturn.

Reply to
TC

Thanks for the info TC.

I'm on an overseas assignement where the electricity is 220V instead of the

110 volts in the US. Therfore I can't use the heater from Saturn. I'm hoping to find a heater that will bolt on at the same location.

From my understanding the heater must fix rather snug to transfer the heat into the engine properly. Do you know how large the heater is or even know where I could find a picture or drawing? Are the Saturn engines found in other makes (Opel, etc)

MO

Reply to
MO

The Saturn heater I looked at a few years ago was about the size of my hand,shaped like an electric charcoal starter and would be rated at about 320 watts. It wasn't held snug to the block so it heatsby radiation. In my opinion it's less than 50% efficient. You'll have little troubel improvising a substitute. Walt

Reply to
walt woytowich

How about a voltage converter so you can use the Saturn heater?

Jonnie Santos

It's a heater. There are lots of cheaply available voltage converters that work very well with heating devices to convert from 220 to 110.

Essentially, they're like light dimmers that are pre-set to the correct setting so that, when attached to 220 Volts, they put out enough juice to make a bulb (or heating element) light up as if it's getting 110 volts.

That would be my first suggestion.

My second suggestion would be to contact Saturn in Spring Hill and see if they have any of the block heaters for their (short-lived) Japanese market kicking around somewhere...

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Yeah!

The TC-1600 on the page that Jonnie suggests will do well.

It's cheap (about $10 bucks), and will work swimmingly for a simple heater such as a block heater.

Or, you could buy TWO block heaters and wire them up in series...

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Reply to
Dan Hicks