Huyndai has improved & excellent warranty

I can't believe it. Hyundai used to be a joke.

10 Year/100,000 Mile Powertrain Protection, 5 Year/60,000 Mile Bumper-to-Bumper, 5 Year/Unlimited Miles 24-hour Roadside Assistance
Reply to
dr. dig

thats great. glad to see some good competition. south korea is a country on the rise. especially if the global economy takes its course. i read somewhere that they will eventually manufacture their cars in china. they already have a few plants in china and plan expansion. imagine how inexpensive the car will be if made in china? noone will be able to compete with them. UAW workers better start looking for others jobs.

Reply to
KentS

Still are.

Kia is their ghetto level brand now, though.

Most cars hae 1 or 2 problems that show up, with Kias, EVERYTHING breaks on them.

As I've often said the friends, the only thing that will make Korean cars look good is Chinese cars being sold in the US. I'm conviced that due to whatever, the Koreans simply do not understand the US market for ANYTHING. And they've STILL got a long way to go for quality, as anyone with a recent Zenith (LG) TV set can attest to.

I don't understand their approach to cars. Bizzare model names, luckluster performance, 'me too' styling....

Daewoo came and went, Kia has cornered the poor urban area market (This is the poliically correct way of stating it), Hyundai is for all intents and purposes a chick car. The big selling point is price and warranty, but who the heck wants to hang onto a 2nd rate car for 100,000 miles anyway?

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

On "Spike TV" (USA), Car & Driver has a weekly show. A few months ago they had an interview with the President of Hyundai autos. They were discussing their new plant they just opened in Alabama, anyway they were commenting on their prices as they are mostly automated which will improve quality, keep the costs down and keep prices lower.

He also stated (paraphrase here) that the companies goals are to be in top 3 companies in units sold by 2006 and to be the number one company by 2010. Lofty goals, but they seem to have new models each year.

Would I own one? mmm.... probably not yet, but just a few years ago some no name companies started with cheap and cheaply made cars... Honda, Toyota and Nissan.

Reply to
Keith J

When the first Japanese cars started coming in, circa 1968ish, it did not take long for people to discover that they ran well, and were very dependable. At that time, an American car that had 85,000 miles was considered dead. It was very uncommon to see cars go over 100,000 miles. This, combined with the energy crisis of January 1974 helped the Japanese cars get a strong toehold.

Huyndai has been imported into the USA for over 10 years at this point. There is no way I would consider one. Our current family fleet consists of a Saturn, 2 Volvos, an Acura Integra and a Ford F-150.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

I grew up in New York State, which is tough on vehicles. We never got less than 120,000 miles out of our vehicles. 1962 Chevy II wagon -

156,000, sold - 1971; 1967 Ford Fairlane Wagon 134,000, d. 1976; 1962 Corvair 124,00, d. 1974; 1964 Pontiac Tempest 128,000 sold- 1974. We never replaced an engine, transmission or rear end. Maybe because we never bought Chryslers I never thought 100,000 meant anything but a nice new set of zeroes. All but the Ford got 18 - 22 mpg. We took the Chevy on a six day drive at 135,000 miles and got 21 mpg. The two '62s replaced a '50 and a '53 chevy. I do not recall how many miles they had.

I suspect that price may have been motivating force. I recall a new Mercury full size wagon went for over $5,000 US in 1974, which is why we didn't get one.

Reply to
RC