Opinions please 2008 Vue with 4 cylinder engine

My daughter is looking at the 2008 Vue with 4 cylinder engine. She wants the 4 because of the price and fuel economy being better than the 6. We
have driven it and know it is not peppy like a 6, but willing to tolerate it because of the extra gas mileage.
What are your opinions of the vehicle as an owner?
Daughter is a bit concerned about the four banger as she us afraid the engine and transmission will wear out too quickly.
So owner opinions are appreciated.
Also, I noticed that some people on this group claim they negotiated the price on the Saturn vehicles. I thought Saturn did not do this so what is the secret?
The newer 2.4L 4 cyl ecotec engine is one of the most popular and durable engines out there. Yes, the 6 would be much quicker than the 4 we are talking 169hp vs 257hp, big difference. Despite the smaller engine, it is durable and requires little maintenance. I have an ION with the smaller ecotec 2.2L engine, have had it for a yr and it has held up well so far. Most that I talk to have been very happy with the 4cyl engine.
Depending on how your daughter will treat her car, no engine, not a 4, 6 or 8 will be durable enough if you treat it like a disposable appliance. Treat your car good and it will treat you good, 4 or 6. That said, if she intends to beat on the car and is concerned about gas mileage , you are defeating your purpose, but as long as she properly maintains the car it will hold up well, even if she races it.
Most Saturn stores still stick to the "No Hassle No Haggle" prices and policy they are famous for, don't expect to wheel and deal like you can at Chevy or KIA. Don't be disappointed if they tell you so. Do expect that if the dealership is run like a traditional Saturn store that you will leave happily with a good deal.
--
marx404

_________________
I can't speak for the '08, as this is a new design Vue (Opel), but I have an '06 with the 4 cyl.
Yes, getting it up to speed takes a little bit when comparing, but once you're cruising above 45, it sprints up to higher speed rather decently. I will also let you know the tranny makes a big difference. I don't know if the '08 is still available with the 5 speed stick, but if so and your daughter likes/can drive stick, go that route. The stick easily gets much better mileage than the auto both around town and on the highway, in part because you have control on the shift patterns in getting it up to speed as well as some other reasons. I also believe cruising RPM is lower with a stick because of the ratio. Others will be able to fill you in better if you're looking for specifics. The other main thing between the two is durability. The 4 cyl, as was mentioned, is very durable and has a timing chain as opposed to the 6 cyl Honda with a belt. The manual tranny is a (I believe) Italian solid, bullet-proof tranny. I get 24 city and got 29-30 on the highway on a recent trip. My father got a 6cyl auto 1 week after I bought mine. I have 60K on mine and have only had to change the front bearings and am still on my factory tires and brakes. My father is heavy on the brakes and does not rotate his tires regularly and just got a huge bill at his 35K check up (needed new front tires, brakes, etc)
I would stick to the stick and 4cyl as my opinion (if available)
IYM
wrote in message

On Apr 27, 11:49 am, Hang_Traitor_Democrats

I don't own one, but I've had a similar experience with a 4 versus 6 cylinder engine in the same base vehicle. As long as she is not going to be doing any mountain driving, with a full load of passengers and cargo, she'll be okay with the 4 cylinder. It's not as safe due to the limited power during accelleration, but it sounds like she's alread aware of the trade-offs already.

It's a reliable engine so this should not be an issue. I don't know about the transmission.

No secret. Most Saturn dealers do negotiate, they just don't want to talk about it because it makes most customers not even try. You make it easier for them if you have a trade-in that they can jack up the value of, versus directly cutting the price. However the "one-price" policy has a lot of wiggle room, since the dealer is permitted to set the price based on changing market conditions. You want to haggle in the right way. Tell them that xyz has a similar vehicle, similarly equipped, for a street price that's however much less than the Vue.
There's a $1500 rebate right now on the Vue so the base price is $20,011 (for the 2.4L 169 HP engine), which is close to the street price of the Honda CR-V (around $20,000) with a 2.4L 166 HP engine. This is what Saturn usually does, they offer rebates to get their prices in-line with the competition. However the problem with this is that the add-ons are at full MSRP, which makes the Saturn cost a lot more once you go above the base model, unless you negotiate.
Also, watch out for unscrupulous Saturn dealers that attempt to charge _over_ MSRP, by adding on bogus fees. One dealer that my sister-in-law went to in South Carolina was trying to charge a $199 "closing fee," plus they wouldn't negotiate on price, insisting on pricing her trade- in at what it was actually worth (the nerve!). The dealer in the next town had only a $35 "closing fee" and did negotiate on price by inflating the value of her decrepit trade in far over even the retail KBB value, let alone the wholesale value.
Hang_Traitor_Democrats turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

I have the 2005 V6 with the Honda engine.
I don't know about the Vue, but I just recently rented a dodge caliber four-banger.
I can tell you, it is bizarre driving a 4-cylinder. Of course, my DD is a Chevy Avalanche with the 5.3L V8, so going to an I4 is a serious change. But I drove the V6 Saturn today and felt much more in control having the extra two cylinders.
Just my $02.