Radiator fan motor cost?

My '95 SL-2 seems to have an open somewhere (5 megs). Rotated relays and checked the 30 amp fuse. All good, just the motor isn't working. Seems it is shot. Any idea as to cost? I'm tempted to take it to the dealer and sit it out while they replace it. Should take too long I hope.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

One last test, try supplying power directly to the fan itself. It shouldnt be that hard of a "do it yourself" job if you got tools. Some dealerships charge an arm and a leg for labor and parts. Some dont so get more than one price quoted.

Reply to
Blah Blah

The motors at the dealer are roughly $90, I'd bet another $90 to do the replacement labor.

It's a relatively easy job.

The motors, while sealed, have brushes that are wear items. Motors simply wearing out are pretty common - with a 95, you're due.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

See if you can get an aftermarket fan. I've seen generic fans in the Whitney catalog and in speed shops. Trouble with installing a generic fan is that you almost always have to make your own adaptor brackets. Then again, even if you get the OEM fan, it is only two screws (iirc) that attach the fan bracket at the top of the radiator. Remove them, pull the bracket upward after removing the power connector.

Reply to
Oppie

You guessed well. Price was $180 (parts and labor) plus $70 for radiator flush. Total $253.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

The problem with this kind of thing is that you're making life difficult for the next guy if/when the fan fails. They'll have to either undo your modifications so that the original fan will fit again or they'll have to scratch their head and try to figure out where the heck you got the fan from so they can find a new one. I'd recommend using the OEM fan unless there is a compelling bit of evidence the part is poorly designed/ineffective.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

NAPA - $50 - 15 minute job.