Radio Problem, on but not home

Hi Group,

I have a 98 SC2 with a stock Radio/Tape/Equalizer. It won't turn on anymore although the clock is working and when I depress the volume knob, the display lights up. It's acting like I have the car off. It even ejected the tape that was in it. I took it to the dealership, they said that they tested the contacts on the back of the radio and everything checked out OK but that must mean that it's something else internal. They wanted to replace it for $450. A bit much for a tape player. Anyhow, I was thinking maybe it was a simpler problem, mabye even something with the ignition switch or wires that is broken and therefore not letting the radio know, 'hey the car is in AC or RUN.' So, it's just a giant clock that can light at the moment.

Any ideas?

Hero_J

Reply to
Hero_J

The radio has 2 power inputs.. one is power on always (for clock and computer in radio) and one is power in run or acc. That one would power the radio amp. Yellow or pin 9 of the power cable coming in is the power line from the ignition and will be live in run or acc.. the orange wire on power cable 10 is the always on line. I would trust the numbers before the colors though. You should measure battery voltage from those to ground.. ALSO make sure the radio has a good ground!! Hope this helps Phil Oh yeah my radio didn't work like that once and it turned out to be the CHIME fuse so check all fuses even if they don't say radio.

Reply to
p_vouers