Re: The DMV is so insidious. [yada yada]

I recall something about 'death and taxes'. Get a grip and get used to it. Same thing here in NY. Go to register any used vehicle (or transfer ownership) and you have to either pay tax based on the current blue book value. Exceptions are if you have a signed affidavit (on one of their forms) stating the sale value. A separate bill of sale is not considered valid. Another exception is if the vehicle is 'gifted' from one family member to another. Again special DMV forms needed. Good news is that at least the forms are all available on the DMV website so another trip is not needed to pick them up.

Oppie

=========== do not cross post

Reply to
Oppie

Is that a new thing? When I bought my Saturn in 99 I had the seller make the bill of sale out much cheaper and write "as is" on it. I'm in NY also.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Here in Westchester county, NY (motto: just give us your wallet) proof of paid sales tax was required when I bought my first used car, a VW bug, in '71. Not sure when the separate form for declaring the vehicle value that had to be signed by the seller came into use.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie