Rev-up at start-up 2003 ION

As far back as I can remember, this car has revved up upon start-up. It's as if I was pressing the accelerator down when I turn the key. It comes up and drops really quickly, but it's annoying, and definitely NOT how i would normally start it.

I have relatives that own the same type/year vehicle, and they say theirs also does it...

Why? Is that by design?

Reply to
jeff