Ripped off turn signal stalk '01 lw300

Found out the other day a good reason to only reset the trip odometer when parked... I had just filled the tank and gotten underway when it occurred to me to reset the trip odometer. On the L series, the most convenient way to reach the reset button is by putting your hand through the opening of the steering wheel. I was going straight so no problem (so I thought). Just as I put my hand out, an idiot coming the other way dips in front of me and into a driveway. I had to take evasive action and didn't pull my left hand out of the enter opening fast enough. Got the hand pinned between the wheel and turn indicator stalk. Quick evaluation of whether to loose the front end of the car or the turn indicator... wound up snapping of the stalk but did miss the SOB.

Good news is that I removed the column top cover behind the steering wheel and found that the stalk had merely popped out of a well and was held in by two small plastic pins. Pushing the stalk back in untill it clicked into place seems to be holding. And here I was worrying about having to buy a new switch and take the whole column apart.

I have had other cars in the past where the turn indicator switch was so fragile and easilly damaged - not to mention expensive and involved to repair. This was a pleasant surprise.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie