Smoke in the Cockpit

I switched on the ignition on my '96 Saturn SL2 recently and acrid smoke, like smoke from burning wires, poured out from behind the dash. I think the smoke originated near the ignition switch but can't be sure.

I turned off the switch and disconnected the battery. Later I reconnected the battery and with a fire extinguisher close by, I tried to get it to do it again, but it wouldn't. I looked at fuses but didn't see any of them open. I'll do a continuity test on them next.

The ignition is now dead.

Anybody know what the problem might be? I'm thinking it's the switch but don't really know for sure.

Any hints from Saturn mechanics?

I've enjoyed this little car, replaced the starter, alternator, water pump, and a few other things with the greatest of ease and a Haynes Repair Manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know the pinout on the ignition switch so I can test it? Or does anyone have any advice on how to test the switch? Or focus on the problem? Thanks a million.

Reply to
JLS

i had a similar situation few years ago. when i replaced the wiper blades in my SL97, out of stupidity i didn=92t realize that the one on the passenger side had become jammed by the antenna. then, i tried to test the new blades. upon turning on the ignition, smoke came out of the dash. QUICKLY, i shut if off and (upon realizing the blade stuck), corrected the mistake. i thought that the smoke had come from the windshield wiper motor, and that my quick reaction had saved it. nevertheless, as i had no immediate problem, sighted relief and kept going; but few months later, i had starting problems. the mechanic diagnosed that the computer (PCM), was damaged. he had removed and opened it, and showed me the PCB with several charred copper traces lifted , and one of them cut. i got a new PCM from a firm in Florida. actually, there are two companies; one of them didn=92t have it in stock, but offered me to repair mine. the other company works on an exchange basis. Google and you=92ll find them. be prepared to kick (approx.) 200 bucks. access to the PCM is easy: two plastic (snap into) plastic cups expose the screws which hold the dash. once removed, access and removal to the PCM is immediate (if i recall properly, there is only one connector). good luck

danielR

Reply to
danielr