62 GT Grill

Is the emblem on the top of a 62 GT Hawk grill a separate piece? Allen

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

Nope, it is a recessed textured area, a circle with a Hawk logo. The

62 and 63's were the same. 64 got a Mercedes style ornament. Does anyone know if the 64 GT's also had the circle and Hawk emblem as well? I believe they do, but I have not seen a 64 up close and personal.

And if a grill surround is re-chromed does the detail of the logo get smoothed over?

Tony in Ausitn

Reply to
Tony in Austin

Not necessarily. It depends what condition the part is in to begin with. If there's pitting in the Hawk emblem area then that would necessitate a lot of grinding. ie, loss of (copper 3-4 thousand's, nickel 5-10 thousand's and chrome 1/2-1 thousand's) detail. The layers of plating is not where you loose the details, it's in the prep work.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Reply to
The Other Dave

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

No, not round a at all, it was a stand up 64 hood ornament.

satdoc2 via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

The '64 Hawk grill shell has two 1/4" holes in the top of it for the Hawk emblem to bolt to.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

I had a rechromer absolutely RUIN a decent '62 Grille.... The bird was ground away- and the recess wasn't round anymore. Otherwise, the plating was nice. I drilled 2 holes in the recess, and mounted the grille bird from a 1959 Hawk to cover it. It turned out pretty nicely.

Ray

satdoc2 via CarKB.com wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I found a part # 1343501 behind the grill mesh. It is a 62 grill, but must have been rechromed before. The recesssed Hawk emblem was ground off smooth and appears to have had a round emblem electric tacked in its place. It is now gone. Allen

John Poulos wrote: No, not round a at all, it was a stand up 64 hood ornament.

John, Was it about 2 inches round? [quoted text clipped - 6 lines] [quoted text clipped - 5 lines] Tony in Ausitn

--------------040405080403050608010403--

Reply to
Studeman