Avanti mag wheels, followup

Thanks to those here who offered tech advice, today I finally had American Racing imitation Halibrand (TorqThrust D) wheels, and Firestone PV41 tires, mounted. Took about a month. They look right, and SEEM to clear OK in hard cornering (min. clearance to anything is about 1-1/4" static, sitting on wheels). They fill the wheel wells nicely, the real purpose of Avanti tires.

To get a diameter match for the 215/75's I was replacing, I went to 225/70, which is right on the edge for the 15x6 wheel. But the 215's were probably over the edge for the stock wheel, and I got by fine on those.

Did anyone happen to know where American Racing Products are made? Because, after reading several paper catalogs and ten or so web listings, I did not. Never thought to ask. They are made in China. CHINA. Little paper sticker on the inside of the wheel (where you can't see it with the tire mounted), nothing on the box, no info from manufacturer. Not even an "imported" note. Had I not been out in the shop interfering, I'd have never known.

WHY do we not buy from the current Halibrand company? Because they're cheap Chinese knockoffs, that's why. (Speaking of knockoffs, apparently those

3-corner spinners are NLA for the new screw pattern).

I'm hoping against hope that they really mean Taiwan (trade regulations state Taiwan must call itself China) because, on high dollar items, Taiwan's QC is pretty good. But I certainly would never have committed to $175 each had I known. I will now never feel good about those wheels. I'll never brag about them, never show them off, never experience any pride of ownership. And never buy from "American" again. Also blew a long-term relationship with Tire Rack in the process. I wish I'd left my $1400 in my pocket.

Big surprise: the Firestones are USA. These must be the only V-rated Firebridgestones not made in Japan.

Reply to
comatus

I saw a piece on the news a few weeks ago about a family that successfully survived for a while (I can't remember the length of time, but it was substantial) without buying anything from China. They actually were successful, but the wife admitted it was very difficult. Joe Roberts

Reply to
itraseecab

I've had no problem with the Torque Thrust D's from China and yes it's the big China.

snipped-for-privacy@bex.net wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Just so you know, Richard LeJeurne (owner of Halibrand in Wellington, KS) - has moved production out of the country (Japan & Mexico). So there are no American Halibrands anymore.

Reply to
zoombot

Might as well get used to it. Most of our manufacturing and jobs are being sent overseas. I heard that we cannot even build a complete fighter airplane without some parts from China. It all part of the war on the middle class and the sell out of our government to the multinational corporations.

Reply to
ALEX M.

Well Lee what was the cause of the delay...?? I know some airports can take hours to get through security so I guess the old ships are even worst with the waiting and checking your papers,getting in line for the bathroom,etc...

Lansing

snipped>>>

To e-mail me remove the X from my E - address...

Reply to
Lansing Small

I guess there was no reason until then to leave Norway... then they heard about North Dakota and jumped on the first boat available.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud