Brake upgrade on my Wagonaire

I am working towards getting my 64 Wagonaire roadworthy. This car was originally a 6cyl car with a 3speed trans. The six was removed and replaced with a 259 v/8 out of a 64 Lark, along with the trans. The brakes are still the six cyl issue. I am converting the fronts to (Turner) disc-brakes. My question is, can I use the backing plates and drums from a 63 lark v/8 car that I parted out years ago? I'd swap the whole rear-end, but the 63 was an automatic, thus gear ratio issues. Or, should I try to find a v/8 rear-end with the right gearing and swap the whole thing? The springs are going to be changed at a later date..

George Grants Pass, OR.

Reply to
George

midlant

are you sure about that? ISTR that the axle seals are the same leading me to believe that the bolt pattern of the backing plate is the same. I think if he wanted to he could use the V-8 brakes on the original RA until such time as he finds a model 44 with the right gears.

nate

Alex Magdaleno wrote:

Reply to
N8N

The backing plate off a 27 won't fit a 44. Mabey the plate could be modified in a lathe? If you could make the plate fit then I think everything else would work. Let's see what others think.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

I believe you're right as I used Cruiser brakes/backing plates on my old '63 Lark that had originally been a six cylinder and still sported a model 27 rear.

JT

N8N wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
midlant

Oh yes they will fit. I am running the backing plates and drums from a 27 on the 44 that I put under the 54 wagon. They fit just fine after I re adjusted for axle bearing preload.

Reply to
Studebaker Kid