Changing Perspectives

Spent a hot Oklahoma day at a car show today. Felt good to get out of town, and away from the recent mess I have gotten myself into.

298 cars registered at the show, many others shown, but not judged. 'Sheba came home empty handed today, and that's OK, the competition was STRONG and plentiful! This is the show I took both Studes to last year, and won a nice prize with 'Sheba, and the grand prize of two round trip airline tickets to anywhere in the U.S. So, I reckon that made up for this year!

But, I think I may have found a new nitch. I ran onto a vehicle that has changed my whole perspective of car shows. I have to admit, I love car shows, but am getting tired of the routine of constantly having to repair and detail to the degree that it takes to be "successful." I know I could just let my Studes go, but the "competition" aspect is what has challenged me to keep from doing that. I can't help it, I'm anal, and although I like to (and do) drive the wheels off of my Studes, I can't stand the thought of just "relaxing," and letting them run down.

The guy who's car I am about to introduce you to has absolutely the right idea! Enjoy your old car. Drive it to shows. (Yes, he DROVE IT to the show! Once he got there, he had more fun, and put more smiles on more faces than any of the 300+ other vehicles there today.

He used not one drop of elbow grease, water, soap, wax, DWG, tire dressing, or anything else, and he had a ball! He made my day, and several other folks' day! While I have walked over to several folks to complement them on the cars they toiled over to present at a show, today is the first time I ever walked up to anyone, shook their hand, and THANKED them for bringing their vehicle to a show!

I failed to take my camera today, so had to ask a friend to shoot pictures of this vehicle for me. He took far too few pictures, and missed way too many details, but here are some of the pics he took. In order to truly enjoy the full impact of this vehicle, one must take several minutes, and look closely at just about every 2 square foot area, as there are little surprises and messages all over, inside and out. I'm quite sure I didn't catch them all.

Pic 1:

There is a fellow either dead, or taking a nap on top of the vehicle. There is a still in the back of the vehicle. The sign you can just barely see on the left sez, "Revenoors Bewair." The tool box on the front bumper is full of antique tools.

Pic 2:

At the end of thechain protruding from the front bumper is a chicken being choked by thechain. He is wearing "OU" socks. (Won't mean much to someone not from OK.)The "guy" under the vehicle has a funnel in his mouth, and is catchingdrippings from the still. On the running board is a button to push in orderto file a complaint. The button triggers a steel trap, and there areseveral bloody fingers lying around the trap. Hanging off of one of thesticks sticking out the back of the vehicle is a thunder pot, with a signthat reads, "Taked from under Momma's side of the bed." Under the leftfront tire is a squashed chicken. Too many other funny little this's andthat's to mention.

Pic 3:

Pretty well sums itup, but not really. The wild animal box contains a prank that scares thepants off of the kids, much to the joy of everybody watching. When I go back into retirement, I think I just might relieve myself of a couple of PITAs, and build me a new Studebaker show vehicle. It breaks my heart that that won't happen before Omaha. I'm ready to lighten up!

Reply to
Dave's Place

Dave's Place

Snip

Reply to
John Poulos

Good point, and great idea! I kin do that!

Reply to
Dave's Place

I finally get it!! Now I know what a real "rat rod" looks like. Cool!!

Reply to
RobYoung

Thanks for sharing that Dave! At the Denton N.C. old time threshers reunion (held each year during the week of July 4) there are a few cars displayed with gimmicks. A '66 Falcon is my favorite,as there is so much "Rube Golberg" machinery attached to it and running wierd tasks, it takes 20 minutes or so to see it all!The guy also has 3 or 4 "squirt nozzles" hidden about the car triggered by remote control, by an operator who is undetected. The thousand or so antique tractors on display, along with all sorts of operating steam equipment make this a "must see" if you are in the area.

Freddy

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

Dave,

Good point, and great idea! I kin do that!

Who you 'gonna borrow de' hair from? Last I remember, you is "follicly challenged"? BOSEG

Jim Turner

Reply to
Jim Turner

And don't forget Aunt Bea's studebaker Lark !!!!!!!

Reply to
blacklarkviii

And don't forget Aunt Bea's studebaker Lark !!!!!!!

Reply to
blacklarkviii

The San Diego Car Club Council had a meet at the muesum yesterday. All sorts of car, except racing.

I took one photo (film) PT Cruiser with full gkirts, metal sunshield at top of windhshild '40 ford 4-door to me.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

I gave up on the judging game in the early 1980's. "For display only" has been my motto since then. Leaves me 100% of the time to chat, bargain and otherwise do relaxing things.

Funny thing is that every time I drive back east, my vehicle often looks like the Clampett-mobile as I drag still more stuff to Texas...

JT

Dave's Place wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

And install white carpeting...

JT

Dave's Place wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I think I just made my 4th of July plans.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud